• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jayde211

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Last year my husband's truck (the hood to be exact) was damaged in a hail storm. We filed a claim and were paid for the damages but opted not to fix it. Last weekend someone vandalized his truck by keying a very large and noticeable insult across his hood. We called to file a claim on it and when the adjuster came out he informed me that the claim was denied because we had not gotten the hail damage fixed. This does not sound right to me. He said the reasoning was because they will not pay on the same item twice....however this is not the same thing at all! Even had we gotten the hail damage fixed, this damage would still be there. Just looking for any insight possible. Thanks!

racer72

You did not comply with the requirements of your policy. You were paid to fix the truck and didn't. Why should they pay for things and not fix them? Situations such as that border on insurance fraud, they have no way of knowing that the damage is not being caused just to collect from the insurance.

A

aaronardo1

I feel the same way you do. If they pay you for the damage its your money.I had something similar happen to me.I backed into a dumpster and caused more damage to an already damaged area.After an hour long heated debate with the adjuster they paid it. If your insurance company can be convinced that you are not trying to scam them and that you have been insured with them for a long time without a lot of claims as I was,they might see things differently.This is only an opinion AL

J

jayde211

RACER72 I DID COMPLY WITH THEIR STIPULATIONS! I AM NOT MANDATED IN ANY WAY TO USE THAT MONEY TO REPAIR IT. IT IS 100% LEGAL TO KEEP INSURANCE MONEY IF I SO DESIRE AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT INSURANCE FRAUD! THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT ANYWAY

stephenk

They already paid to fix the hood and repaint the hood, right?

Now you want them to pay for only a new paint job? repair the hood? both?

Since the hood was not repainted or repaired after the hail storm any new damage to the hood is redundant and already paid for.

For example, after you were paid to fix the hood following the hail storm, if you scratched up the hood or beat it with a hammer, the money you were paid would already cover that damage since the repairs would consist of replacing the hood, right?

Last edited:
J

jayde211

ANSWER

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I AM ONLY ASKING THAT THEY REPAINT THE HOOD WHICH WILL NOT REPAIR THE HAIL DAMAGE. EVEN WITH A NEW PAINT JOB THERE WILL STILL BE HAIL DAMAGE THERE. I AM ONLY ASKING THAT THEY PAY FOR THE VANDALISM WHICH MY POLICY IS SUPPOSED TO COVER. ALSO WANT TO NOTE THAT I HAVE REQUESTED 5 TIMES IN 2 DAYS THAT THEY SEND ME A HARD COPY OF MY POLICY PROVISIONS AND THEY TELL ME THEY WILL SEND IT AND THEN DON'T. UPON MY LAST REQUEST THEY FLAT OUT TOLD ME IT WAS NOT IN THE PROVISIONS OF THE POLICY BUT THAT IT WAS THEIR OWN COMPANY POLICY....HOWEVER I'M NOT PAYING FOR THEIR POLICIES, I WAS PAYING FOR WHAT MY SPECIFIC PLAN SAID IT WAS GOING TO COVER.

S

sherbert

Here's a tip for getting your insurance co. to respond--tell them you paid your premiums in "good faith" that they would pay your valid claims and if they don't stop giving you the run around you will file a complaint against them with your state's department of insurance. Tell the adjuster that if he is unwilling or unable to settle your claim in a fair and prompt manner, that you want to talk to his supervisor or someone who can really help you.

See what happens!

Sherbert

stephenk

Did the original claim for hail damage include the cost of repainting the hood? I doubt they would pay you to fix the hood and not repaint the hood.

If you were paid once to paint the hood and you didnt paint it, any additional paint damage would not result in a new claim for money to paint the hood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">