• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

determination of address for car ins.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vroom

What is the name of your state? NY
I've recently moved to NY and need to insure my car here. I live in new york city, so I don't need the car day-to-day. I would like to garage the car at a relative's place in the suburbs, either to have it available for trips, etc. or just take it off the road and have comprehensive insurance. When I have asked insurance companies for quotes, they've told me that I must insure the car using my address in the city, rather than the address where the car will actually be, or I can have my relative register and insure the car in his name. Insuring the car at my city address would be outrageous, especially since I have no intention to ever drive it down here. I also don't want my relative to have to deal with any of this -- he is already doing me a favor by letting me keep my there. Do I have any other options? Are the insurance companies being straight with me? Thanks!

K

knotcops

Although I am in rural Arizona, I see this in my agency all the time. Go get a P O Box in your relatives home town for mailing purposes. Use the relatives physical address as the garaging address.

However, if you are indeed only trying to save money by using that garaging address, but will be driving the vehicle in NY, beware. If I found this out in my agency, I would have the policy "do not renew" for false statements at the renewal. Don't play games to save a few bucks.

V

vroom

No, not just trying to save money :) I just don't want to be paying NYC rates when I'm never having the car in NYC. So you think that I should just not let the insurance companies know that I actually live at a different address? I can already receive mail at the place where I would have the car. Should I just not mention that I am actually living somewhere else?

K

knotcops

If the vehicle is indeed garaged at that location, use it. Pay the six month premium up front and keep your mouth shut.

V

vroom

Thanks again -- One more thing...I will also be changing my license to New York State and I guess I will have to have my real address on that. I'd presume that the insurance company is going to want to see my license. Am I wrong about either of these points?
Has anyone gotten a new license or registered a car in NY lately? I moved out of state for seven years, and I know that they've (understandably) gotten a little more picky about IDs for example. Any other new things?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">