• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Devisated by a uninsured motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tamera Crumlich

What is the name of your state? Texas

Owner of totaled vehical was my future father in law (who had liablity and uninsured pip of $5000.00 only)
Driver of totaled vehical was my father (who has on his car liablity only with unisured underinsured)

Owner of the Vehical at fault all tickets issued to her she admited fault at scene to officers and witness's.

I am writing you out of frustration. August 2nd (name removed although I would love nothing better then to flood her information all over creation for the grief she has inflicted I am going to use my better judgement for the moment)failed to yeild right of way when turning left onto Lowes Blvd in Killeen. She claimed to not have any insurance on her 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup truck which has had its near 3000.00 estimated damage repaired while our vehical which was covered by liablity was totaled is sitting in a impound yard gaining debt for storage. My family has been devisated by the loss of transportation and the frustration in a system that says "sorry we can give you no information, just advise you to sue". The Privacy of Information Act has the police, the courthouse, the MPs, everyone unable to tell us if she showed insurance proof after the fact to avoid the ticket. There is a Department of Defense sticker in the windshield that is not registered to her name but even though the DoD has the name of who it is registered and what insurance was given can not release that information as it is PRIVATE.

This woman has her life in order her vehical fixed and goes on like nothing has ever happend while the only option available to the people she has injured both physically, financialy and emotionaly have is to hire a lawyer who will take Most of what ever is given in judgement (my father who has retained his own lawyer in the matter had to sign a paper giving they law firm the right to take AS MUCH AS up to 63 and 3/4 percent AFTER expenses of any settlement in a suit against her, where does that leave him? He lost a job has been in pain for weeks who knows how long he will continue to hurt or if his injuries to his ribs cause his already poor lungs to develop phenumonia again as a result of not being able to breath deeply enough to take his medication for his COPD.

Her life goes on ours is devistated and all we can hear is SUE her.

Her license and registration is from the state of Oklahoma and woman I spoke with through a number given to me by the Attorney Generals office there said had the accident happend in OK that she would have been removed from the scene and taken directly to jail. Texas gave her a ticket saying you have 10 days to show proof of insurance or get a slap on the wrist then refuses to release information as to if such information was ever turned over.

Do you have any suggestions?

Despirately seeking help

Tamera Crumlich

xrevvyx

i've got to say your story is probably one of the most compelling statements i have ever heard to not only get the MAX amount of insurance available (not the minimum as required by law) but to also have an umbrella policy ON TOP OF IT .. you can not assume or hope that the other person's insurance will cover your costs - what if they don't HAVE insurance ? and your uninsured only covers you for $10,000 ? or what if it was a hit and run ?

had you not taken the *cheap* way out - you wouldn't even be here posting this - because your life too would have just gone on - like the lady who hit you ..

i was hit 1 month ago by a guy in a pick up who ran a light doing over 60mph - he missed my head by INCHES - i was at the time 5 1/2 months pregnant - and have been out of work since the accident - plus my car is worth almost double what his was worth .. why am i telling you this ? because had it not been for me always opting for the MAXIMUMs when it comes to insurance - i would be where you are now - he has the state minimum so if i was going off his insurance i would be S.O.L. .. i will go through MY insurance primarily (because YOUR insurance takes care of IT'S client first) and then they will pursue to collect from his - but my car has already been paid out (2 1/2 weeks ago) and my medical bills are all being paid - i also retained an attorney for my unborn child - because he suffered the brunt of the impact - had i not had millions in coverage - they wouldnt have taken the case because the guy who hit me has like 300,000 max -

use this as a lesson - protect your assets - get good insurance - sure i pay almost $3,000.00 a year (or at least thats the quote i was given on the car i'm buying 2004 honda oddessy) but its worth it because i will have a house in the future and since i work i will always have garnishable wages - it's not worth owing someone millions when i could have just paid the 3,000 ..

god forbid i hit a doctor and his wife with their child prodigy and championship AKC registered dog in his range rover - that was the reason i got the coverage ..

T

Tamera Crumlich

Had it been my car I am not sure I could have paid for more insurance then my fiances father had or not yes it is a learning experience but do I really have no recourse against this woman?

It is my opinion that the woman has insurance on her 3 year old 20,000+ vehical and is hiding that information for whatever reason her vehical has been repaired and it was probably at a higher cost then our cars replacment cost (or blue book value).

I can not believe that while most of us are regulated to be responsible that the few who choose not to be go unpunished.

xrevvyx

wasn't there a police report filed ? i mean that's all YOUR insurance would need - your insurance would take care of you - and then YOUR insurance would go after hers (or her if she truly is uninsured) for damages (if she was deemed at fault) ..

T

Tamera Crumlich

All tickets charged to her she was 100% at fault she made a left turn across 2 lanes of traffic and drove right into the drivers side of our vehical she did so with such force she rolled our car how can anyone go from a stop to about 40 across 40 feet is beyond me. Police and Ambulance were called to the scene our liablity will only cover up to $5000.00 Personal injury and nothing more and will only go after her for the medical.

T

Tamera Crumlich

Update

Today threw many many days and hours of diligantly digging out shreads of information and piecing them together I was able to find out Unit of the military that the husband of this woman was attached to. She had the police report reflect her maiden name information imo to keep us from finding out this information.

After 17 days I spoke to this gentlemans First Sgt. who had him (the soldier) return my call which is more then we had been able to do upto this point. The previous calls to the number listed on the police report sounded like this, "You have no right to call my house this is harrasement and I will file charges"

Apon speaking with the soldier he informed me that he had recently allowed his USAA policy to laps on the vehical. He tried to tell me my insurance should replace our car under Uninsured underinsured Motorist coverage.

AutoOwners Insurance Liablity with PiP of $5000.00 is going to take care of the first $5000.00 in medical bills for my father and brother who had borrowed the car.

Geico (drivers insurance) says that becouse my father had just borrowed the car and was not a regular driver of it that his Uninsured underinsured would not replace our vehical.

When I informed him of this he started to stammer a little and I said I am not trying to be a bitch (sorry) but I want you to know that your truck picked up enough speed from a dead stop across 2 lanes of traffic to Flip on to the side and roll our car and very well could have killed the people inside it.

He promptly said he had to get some time off work to go talk to someone and would see if he could get back to me sometime this week if not this week sometime in the future.

What should I do from here? Already has been almost 3 weeks from the accident. How long do I wait for him to "talk to someone". Usaa has confirmed that his policy was not in force on the date of the accident.

In my opinion our damages are the $3000.00 for the replacement of the car and items damaged or lost during the wreck. Our Cab bills and transportation cost from loss of our only transportation.
I also feel we are intitled to something for the hassle and agrivation that thier irresponsiblity has caused us.
As well as the Lawyer fees which we will need to pay in advance for a lawyer to go with us to small claims court as the military will provide him with a lawyer from Jag. I believe our states limit on small claims court is $5000.00

what is reasonable?

This is seperate from the personal injury which my father and brother have had to retain a lawyer for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">