• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dh hit, found out insurance cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alandicho

Last night my dh was broad sided. The other driver lost control of their vehicle (slick roads). There was a police report filed. Dh called our insurance this morning and found out that due to a mistake made by our credit union, our payment, made via check, was not recieved. They claim to have sent us notice, but we never recieved it. The problem was, when we opened the account, the CU didn't notify the place that processes the checks, and the check was returned saying account was closed...but it wasn't. We never got the checks even returned to us! So imagine our surprise this morning! we had paid them for a full year (so we thought) and have been driving around all this time without insurance! Dh is livid, and sais that we are screwed. My question is How bad?
Alandicho
[email protected]

JETX

Since you decided to not tell us what state you are in (see the red text at the top of the screen???), we don't know if it is a 'no-fault' state.

If not, then the driver who hit you (who the hell is 'dh'??) is the responsible insured driver. His/Her insurance should pay for the damages done to your/'DH' car, not your insurance.

Just be damn glad that this stupid 'non-paid' insurance situation was not your (DH?) fault. Oh, and be sure to pay your insurance.... not rely on someone else to.....

A

alandicho

Don't need the hostility here. Dh stands for Darling Husband. And I did notice that I forgot to put the state in and I did so in the next reply. I do live in a no-fault state, Michigan.
We have insurance as of now, but are wondering what we can do about this accident.
We are going to go see a lawyer on Monday.

R

redivy6

me too!

PLEASE let me know what the outcome is...I am in a terribly similar situation and am pretty freaked out myself...
Best to you
Rachelanne

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">