• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I mess up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slo2ski

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I have been having telephone conversations only with the agent that will be settling my injury insurance claim. I was offered a very low figure--which will take care of bills and leaves about $400 for "pain and suffering". I have never said to him yes I will take this money, however he did say all they were waiting on was for me to come by and sign a release . I questioned release and he explained, I told him I would come by in the next couple of days but did not say I would actually sign it. I guess it was assumed. He was not in when I called to try to come in and I left a message that the settlement was not acceptable and gave him my amount. He left me a message saying I am breaking a contract and I had accepted his offer and no to anything I said. Have not talked back with him since and really do not look forward to it---where does anyone think I stand? I just want to settle and if I have to sign a release I want to be sure (though the dr has released me) I can cover any additional medical if needed. his offer $1700--my request $3700

stephenk

dont worry, you didnt break any contract. you can negotiate all you want. At some point, you need to decide if it is worth negotiating if the adjuster isnt going to go any higher.

you may want to just file a small claim action against the other driver/owner of car. if you win, the insurance company will have to pay the award.

S

slo2ski

did I mess up

Thanks, makes me feel better, they closed right after his message and I was not feeling to good about things that I had not control over till tomorrow. I felt like as long as I had not signed anything I was still open. I cannot remember the last or first time I have dreaded talking to someone so much--but maybe that is the idea--make me feel intimidated enough to go away quick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">