• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

didnt call the cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emma04

hi- i live in georgia. My fiance, the smart guy that he is, got rear ended about 1 week ago and decided that he wasnt gonna report the accident to the cops or to the insurance company-apparently the guy that hit him claimes he just got divorced and lost everything so he felt sorry for him. He got his address, his company name(he's self employed) his telephone # and his license plate number. The man supposedly payed for the parts already. Now the guy wont return our call or anything. what can i do??? has so much time passed that i cant do anything. Im lost. please help me!!![/SIZE]

Last edited:

if the accident happened in CA... your husband would be guilty of a crime... I'm not sure if there are reporting requirements in GA.

if there are... your husband can't use the legal system to compel the guy to pay. he waived all legal remedies when he decided to not report the accident.

E

emma04

so....in other words i cant do anything @ all.
thanx for the info though.....

you can send him a letter and threaten to sue.

how bad was the damage? plus you need to find out what the reporting requirements are in your state.

I actually know of judgments being entered in unreported accidents in CA Small Claims Court... where the judge didn't care if the accident was reported or not.

That's about all the info I have.

mykoleary

Crazyhorse said:
if the accident happened in CA... your husband would be guilty of a crime...

Not so fast CrazyHorse, IAAL in another thread shed light that CA's reporting requirements are w/in 10 days for $750 and over, so if this were in CA, there would be no crime yet, as it was a week ago.

Call your DMV and ask what the reporting requirements are (or look in your friendly DMV license learning book...) Do it now, before it's too late. If you fall w/in teh requirements, then report it!

Go from there...

touche`.... although it does say "about a week ago". and since she's freaking out I was thinking it was closer to the 10-day mark.

JETX

Wait a minute, folks!!

How did all of this get ASSSUMED to involve California??? And so far off track as to a possible crime for not reporting??
There is nothing in the thread to even present that as a possibility.

With your back-and-forth comments, you two have taken this thread far from where it belongs and have misinformed the writer!!!

So, lets assume (as the post implies) that this happened in GEORGIA and get this back where it belongs!!!

"My fiance, the smart guy that he is, got rear ended about 1 week ago and decided that he wasnt gonna report the accident to the cops or to the insurance company-apparently the guy that hit him claimes he just got divorced and lost everything so he felt sorry for him."
*** Of course, he now realizes that was not the smartest thing for him to do.

"He got his address, his company name(he's self employed) his telephone # and his license plate number."
*** Okay, that was a good start.... but he should have also gotten the other drivers license and insurance information at the same time..... just in case this happens. I assume you have helped him 'learn' this, correct??

"The man supposedly payed for the parts already. Now the guy wont return our call or anything. what can i do???"
*** See below.

"has so much time passed that i cant do anything."
*** Nope. There are LOTS of things you can do, including:
- Turning this over to YOUR insurance carrier and letting them pursue this person, or
- Writing this person a letter (certified RRR) detailing the accident and including estimates for your damages (plus rental car). Demand that he contact you within 3 days of reciept to resolve this matter.
- If he doesn't take care of it, go down to your local small claims court and file on the ba$tard!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">