• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diminshed Value in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celiadanae

What is the name of your state? Texas

Could someone please tell me if I have the right in the state of Texas to seek Diminished Value from the insurance company (Allstate) of the 16 year-old who was at fault in a wreck involving his truck and my SUV? There was $7,200 worth of damage to my SUV that was only 4 months old. It will always show up on the report as being wrecked if I ever try to sell it. If I can seek Diminished Value, how do I determine how much to ask his insurance company for? Thanks so much.

Lynx 36

Quote: "If I can seek Diminished Value, how do I determine how much to ask his insurance company for? Thanks so much.

You can seek diminished value but it is doubtful you would get it.

Happy Trails

celiadanae said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Could someone please tell me if I have the right in the state of Texas to seek Diminished Value from the insurance company (Allstate) of the 16 year-old who was at fault in a wreck involving his truck and my SUV? There was $7,200 worth of damage to my SUV that was only 4 months old. It will always show up on the report as being wrecked if I ever try to sell it. If I can seek Diminished Value, how do I determine how much to ask his insurance company for? Thanks so much.
It would depend on what your policy states.

After reading a quite lengthy case of AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY, ET AL. v. GARY SCHAEFER
Case #
No. 02-0295

Gary Schaefer was denied Diminished Value for his vehicle. The courts stated, "But we may neither rewrite the parties= contract nor add to its language."

At link:

http://www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us/historical/2003/oct/020295.htm

But take a look at the footnotes, there are some cases that DV was substantiated.

But again it will depend on the wording of your policy.

jcook7066

AMMIC v.Schaeffer was a first party dispute. In Texas, you can make a DV claim against another persons insurance policy, but not against your own policy. Keep in mind that you are delaing with Allstate, so don't expect much.

Happy Trails

jcook7066 said:
AMMIC v.Schaeffer was a first party dispute. In Texas, you can make a DV claim against another persons insurance policy, but not against your own policy. Keep in mind that you are delaing with Allstate, so don't expect much.
I agree, also that is why the footnotes were interesting to me.

[2] Schaefer also sued Kemper National Insurance Companies, Lumbermen=s Mutual Casualty Company, American Motorists Insurance Company, and American Protection Insurance Company. All claims against these companies were dismissed and they are not parties to this appeal.

[5]We note that the Texas Department of Insurance recognizes this distinction in interpreting an insurer=s obligation under the standard policy to pay diminished-value damages. After stating its position that Aan insurer is not obligated to pay a first party claimant for diminished value,@ the Commissioner states:

An insurer also may be obligated to pay a third party claimant for any loss of market value of the claimant=s automobile, regardless of the completeness of the repair, in a liability claim that the third party claimant may have against a policyholder.

***With that being said run a 'google search' for 'diminished value' and see what you come up with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">