• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disagreement with a clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vbbill43

I have agreed upon a settlement amount and they sent me the release form to sign. However, they included a clause that would allow their client to sue me for an accident that the client caused. My questions are:
(1) Can I ask them to remove the clause?
(2) What does a Claims Release form include?
State of Virginia

[Edited by vbbill43 on 01-23-2001 at 12:22 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vbbill43 said:
I have agreed upon a settlement amount and they sent me the release form to sign. However, they included a clause that would allow their client to sue me for an accident that the client caused. My questions are:
(1) Can I ask them to remove the clause?
(2) What does a Claims Release form include?
State of Virginia

My response:

Such a "Release" will allow their insured to sue you.

You write a very nice letter to the adjuster saying that a "unilateral Release" is unacceptable, and that any settlement SHALL be based upon a "mutual release" of all claims; otherwise, you'll be forced to hire an attorney (which is something you should have already done), and the matter will, unfortunately, move forward into the litigation process.

Kindly ask for a new Release form that has "mutual release" language. Give them 10 days to comply. When they don't, see an attorney.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">