• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosing info on Depositions/Interrogatories??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Reference: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=198173

I'm posting a new topic HERE, because the one above-mentioned thread, won't let me change the subject line to get answers to my questions below, and it involves an auto-accident and depositions/interrogatories:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ins. company attorney for the accident my husband had in Sept. 03, sent us a deposition or "interrogatory" for the case. This document will go to the "Plaintiff, the Plaintiff's Attorney, the courthouse, etc.

Question #1 on it asks for my husband's full name, SS, etc...

Question #2 on it asks: Have you ever been convicted of a Felony.

That's the problem. Yes, he was.. 18 years ago. He ended up with probation, no jail time.

We do not wish to answer "yes" to this question. We have worked long and hard to put things in the past. Yes, he has to live with this, in jobs, etc every time he would get a new job. In fact, I asked the Claims Litigator for us BEFORE we got our Ins. Attorney "does it matter if over 15 years ago my husband had a record" and she told me no, that it is only to find out how good a person will testify, and that nothing could be brought up anyway". When we moved out here to Arizona, the apt. complex does background checks, and we were able to move in with no problem.

Questions:

1. Do we HAVE to answer yes?
2. If we do - WHY? What frickin' business is it involving a CAR accident? It's NO ONE ELSE's business. It happened 18 years ago, it's over, it's done.
3. If we have to answer "yes" - will this be brought up in court, and will it be disclosed publicly again?
4. Does anyone know of a REPUTABLE online background check engine that I can go to? There are so many of them, I don't know where to start.

Thank you...

KH

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">