• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery and Car Accidents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InjuredinTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have an attorney handling a car accident in which I am the plaintiff. This accident cost me a significant amount of money in regards to medical and property- with injuries that will never really heal. For months I've asked about her assets. He now tells me he can no longer ask for discovery (I wanted a tax return showing account interest income, property and wage income) because he sent a demand letter for $20,000 and the insurance company accepted it.

Is this true and can an attorney act without the client's knowledge or authorization? My court date had been in October but I'm guessing he "canceled" it.

ecmst12

The attorney can't accept the settlement without your consent, but if he thinks you should take it, there's probably a good reason. Proceeding to court will cost THOUSANDS which you probably won't get back, if they're already offering the policy limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">