• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disputed medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Georgecs

My wife went in a hospital (Loma Linda) for drug (meth) rehab. After 2 weeks I filed a complaint regarding treatment and concerns about the lack of structure. After 3 weeks I gave them a letter stating if I would not pay for any treatment after week 4. Now after finding out more about what happen in treatment I do not feel I own them a penny. My now ex-wife stayed in the program for a total of 6 weeks, was still doing drugs and ended up shacking up with another patient in the program and leaving me and 4 children. The divorce is final, no issue there. The hospital continues to send me bills, it started out at $12,000+, I wrote them several (4) strong registered letters stating my dissatisfaction and what I believe to be poor management and possible malpractice. I have not received any feedback regarding my letters or concerns, just more bills over the past year. The billing has been adjustment to $4,880 (not including $1,500 paid up front). SHOULD I RESPOND TO THE BILLS (they stopped for 5 months and now, the last 3 months, they starting sending them again)? I AM WILLING TO TAKE THIS TO COURT IF THEY TRY TO FILE A JUDGEMENT, BUT I WOULD RATHER JUST MOVE ON AND PUT THIS BEHIND ME.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I don't understand something. Why are YOU being billed at all?

You said you were divorced. Were you at least separated, with a divorce pending, at the time when she first "checked into" the hospital? On what date did she FIRST check into the hospital. On what date was the Dissolution Petition filed in court? Did YOU sign the Hospital's financial contracts?

Is there a court order requiring you to pay for the hospitalization?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited October 29, 2000).]

G

Georgecs

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY...MORE INFO
We were not separated or divorced at the time she went in. One of the reasons I do not want to pay the bill is that I feel the "program" added to the problems verses helping. I did not sign any financial contracts, she did. But I was the one, along with her family, that admitted her. In the final divorce papers I said I would assume limited liablity of the costs (about $3,300). But they will not address my concerns or even talk to me about this billing because I am not the patient. There is presently no court order to pay this bill.

Below is the last letter I sent them (other letters were send prior, stating that I was open to meeting with them to resolve this):

From the desk of George Squires * 33314
Golden Meadow Court * Yucaipa CA 92399 * 909-790-9874

February 24, 2000

Mr. Soderblom,

In regards to your letter addressed to Cynthia Squires on February 18, 2000 and continued billings. I have tried to act in good faith to resolve this billing issue but you have disregarded my attempts. The following facts still remain.

1. I expressed my growing billing and treatment concerns to your staff throughout the program (I have a number of documents to validate this) which resulted several conversations with the BMC staff, but no corrective action.

2. I sent a total of 7 registered letters to Loma Linda BMC and received no response.

3. I made 3 calls directly to your office and 2 to Fabian Sythoff after sending the letters asking for a meeting to discuss this matter and received no response..

4. My October 6, 1999 letter was not a request for the bill to be reduced (the 20 treatment days would have ended on October 7, 1999), it requested that in the event of any additional treatment I be contacted.

5. My ex-wife Cynthia Squires has no recall and there is nothing documented that I have agreeing to billing based on extended care.

I believe it can be proven that Cynthia Squires, on September 9, 1999 at 12:45 p.m., was not in a stable and understanding condition or clear state of mind when entering into this open ended agreement. Follow up and communication by you and your staff has been substandard. I also believe your treatment based on results and promised structure to Cynthia Squires and her family was negligent.

Cynthia Squires does not live at the address listed on your February 18, 2000 letter, her new address is 92 Kansas Street, Apt. B-24, Redlands, CA. We are now legally divorced, her family has been torn apart, she does not practice sobriety and she receives no support from me.

If you pursue your currents demands I will produce, when taken into in a legal forum, the many documents and tapes that I believe show your organizations lack of good faith in treating and billing Cynthia Squires. Mr. Soderblom you should be ashamed for the part, or lack of, you have taken in matter and I would hope you would do your best to settle this fairly. I feel very strongly that based on the situation the bill should be voided. A time consuming legal battle, which I would also bring it to media’s attention, is in nobody best interest and should be avoided if possible.

Sincerely

George Squires

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

I don't understand something. Why are YOU being billed at all?

You said you were divorced. Were you at least separated, with a divorce pending, at the time when she first "checked into" the hospital? On what date did she FIRST check into the hospital. On what date was the Dissolution Petition filed in court? Did YOU sign the Hospital's financial contracts?

Is there a court order requiring you to pay for the hospitalization?

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georgecs:
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY...MORE INFO
We were not separated or divorced at the time she went in. One of the reasons I do not want to pay the bill is that I feel the "program" added to the problems verses helping. I did not sign any financial contracts, she did. But I was the one, along with her family, that admitted her. In the final divorce papers I said I would assume limited liablity of the costs (about $3,300). But they will not address my concerns or even talk to me about this billing because I am not the patient. There is presently no court order to pay this bill.

Below is the last letter I sent them (other letters were send prior, stating that I was open to meeting with them to resolve this):

From the desk of George Squires * 33314
Golden Meadow Court * Yucaipa CA 92399 * 909-790-9874

February 24, 2000

Mr. Soderblom,

In regards to your letter addressed to Cynthia Squires on February 18, 2000 and continued billings. I have tried to act in good faith to resolve this billing issue but you have disregarded my attempts. The following facts still remain.

1. I expressed my growing billing and treatment concerns to your staff throughout the program (I have a number of documents to validate this) which resulted several conversations with the BMC staff, but no corrective action.

2. I sent a total of 7 registered letters to Loma Linda BMC and received no response.

3. I made 3 calls directly to your office and 2 to Fabian Sythoff after sending the letters asking for a meeting to discuss this matter and received no response..

4. My October 6, 1999 letter was not a request for the bill to be reduced (the 20 treatment days would have ended on October 7, 1999), it requested that in the event of any additional treatment I be contacted.

5. My ex-wife Cynthia Squires has no recall and there is nothing documented that I have agreeing to billing based on extended care.

I believe it can be proven that Cynthia Squires, on September 9, 1999 at 12:45 p.m., was not in a stable and understanding condition or clear state of mind when entering into this open ended agreement. Follow up and communication by you and your staff has been substandard. I also believe your treatment based on results and promised structure to Cynthia Squires and her family was negligent.

Cynthia Squires does not live at the address listed on your February 18, 2000 letter, her new address is 92 Kansas Street, Apt. B-24, Redlands, CA. We are now legally divorced, her family has been torn apart, she does not practice sobriety and she receives no support from me.

If you pursue your currents demands I will produce, when taken into in a legal forum, the many documents and tapes that I believe show your organizations lack of good faith in treating and billing Cynthia Squires. Mr. Soderblom you should be ashamed for the part, or lack of, you have taken in matter and I would hope you would do your best to settle this fairly. I feel very strongly that based on the situation the bill should be voided. A time consuming legal battle, which I would also bring it to media’s attention, is in nobody best interest and should be avoided if possible.

Sincerely

George Squires

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Thanks for the further information George; however, you're not going to like what I have to say.

First, you had better talk to an attorney about what I'm about to tell you. First, since you were married at the time she was admitted, and despite the fact that she was the only one who signed the papers, while married in California, you are responsible for at least half of the Community property debts. However, the hospital can hold your hands to the entire debt since she was your wife at the time, and under California law, you owed your wife a duty of financial, and ongoing, support for all of her life-sustaining needs. This includes medical, housing, food, clothing, etc., etc.

If this billing was not made a part of the divorce agreement and property settlement, then you're on the hook.

Lastly, YOU are not a doctor. You may have believed, and still believe, that her treatment was wrong, incorrect, or whatever. But, UNLESS and UNTIL you can obtain the opinion of a doctor (who has reviewed her records) to make a professional opinion about such care and treatment at the hospital, your "opinion and a dime" won't buy you a cup of coffee. You'll need to obtain your wife's signature on a Medical Release form so that you and your doctor can get her records.

Good luck my friend. You now have enough information for you to get further advice from your own attorney in this matter.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

G

Georgecs

Thanks again!
THE BIG QUESTION
Should I "lay low" and see what their next move is (they have not done anything but bill me off and on over the past year)?
or
Should I send them a response to the current bill stating that if they persue this I will use my resources to abtain medical records, contact doctors to evalute the records, seek an attorney, contact AMA, create poor PR etc. and see what happens. I have been very good at documenting the events that happen a year ago, that may help. I even have a message (recorded and saved it) they left me stating the billing after week 4 had stopped.

I feel morally they messed up (I know moral and legal are not the same). This is not only about money.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

Thanks for the further information George; however, you're not going to like what I have to say.

First, you had better talk to an attorney about what I'm about to tell you. First, since you were married at the time she was admitted, and despite the fact that she was the only one who signed the papers, while married in California, you are responsible for at least half of the Community property debts. However, the hospital can hold your hands to the entire debt since she was your wife at the time, and under California law, you owed your wife a duty of financial, and ongoing, support for all of her life-sustaining needs. This includes medical, housing, food, clothing, etc., etc.

If this billing was not made a part of the divorce agreement and property settlement, then you're on the hook.

Lastly, YOU are not a doctor. You may have believed, and still believe, that her treatment was wrong, incorrect, or whatever. But, UNLESS and UNTIL you can obtain the opinion of a doctor (who has reviewed her records) to make a professional opinion about such care and treatment at the hospital, your "opinion and a dime" won't buy you a cup of coffee. You'll need to obtain your wife's signature on a Medical Release form so that you and your doctor can get her records.

Good luck my friend. You now have enough information for you to get further advice from your own attorney in this matter.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Georgecs:
Thanks again!
THE BIG QUESTION
Should I "lay low" and see what their next move is (they have not done anything but bill me off and on over the past year)?
or
Should I send them a response to the current bill stating that if they persue this I will use my resources to abtain medical records, contact doctors to evalute the records, seek an attorney, contact AMA, create poor PR etc. and see what happens. I have been very good at documenting the events that happen a year ago, that may help. I even have a message (recorded and saved it) they left me stating the billing after week 4 had stopped.

I feel morally they messed up (I know moral and legal are not the same). This is not only about money.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

George, mi amigo . . .

Don't communicate with the hospital any longer. It's no use anyway. Everything you've written before is falling on deaf ears.

Here's what I would do. I would see a Family Law attorney and pay $200.00 for an evaluation of your evidence and your rights, duties, responsibilities, and liabilities.

If you evidence is as good as you think, then keep it under your hat. Never "telegraph" to the opposition what you're going to do, or what evidence you have against them (except during the litigation process).

As a matter of fact, if your evidence is that good, you may (in conjunction with good legal advice) want to go on the offense, and bring a lawsuit yourself against the doctors and hospital for rescission and damages based upon breach of contract and/or medical malpractice.

Now, I don't know when all of this happened, or whether Loma Linda Hospital is private or part of a governmental entity. But, depending on when it happened, and what kind of an organization it is, your Statute of Limitations could be running out. You need to seek legal advice immediately.

Good luck George, and let me know how your first consultation goes.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">