• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NotTakingIt

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Long story short- my best friend's boyfriend drove my car on Saturday and scratched/dented the entire side of my car. I told him twice not to drive my car and was in the car when he took the 'fatal' turn and screamed at him to stop the car beacuse he wasn't going to make it without damaging my car. He admits guilt- but will only pay for 1/3 of the damages. He says i'm 1/3 responsible for letting him drive my car and his roomate is 1/3 liable for telling him he could make the turn. i think he is 100% responsible since he was the only one driving and I want to take him to civil court. Do I have a case?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NotTakingIt said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Long story short- my best friend's boyfriend drove my car on Saturday and scratched/dented the entire side of my car. I told him twice not to drive my car and was in the car when he took the 'fatal' turn and screamed at him to stop the car beacuse he wasn't going to make it without damaging my car. He admits guilt- but will only pay for 1/3 of the damages. He says i'm 1/3 responsible for letting him drive my car and his roomate is 1/3 liable for telling him he could make the turn. i think he is 100% responsible since he was the only one driving and I want to take him to civil court. Do I have a case?

My response:

Did he have a driver's license?

Did he have his own insurance?

IAAL

stephenk

how did he end up with the keys to the car if you did not want him to drive the car? how did you end up being a passenger in the car that you didnt want him driving?

in any event, he is 100% at fault. find out if he is insured like IAAL suggested.

spawn_x

why civil court? IMO this would be more appropriate in small claims.. and yes, regardless of anything he is 100% responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">