• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have a Case? NEED Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deana-Mae

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

On November 3, 2007, I was parked next to a building belonging to the Solid Waste Agency of Northwest Nebraska (ie, dump). Alongside the building is many dumpsters available to paying SWANN customers to dispose of garbage. My family is a paying customer.

I was sitting in the driver's seat of my car while my sister threw some things out. It was a windy day, and CRASH, I heard a long bang/smashing sound. My sister started screaming while I was turning to see what the heck had happened. She saw a rock roll off of SWANN's building and break through my rear windshield.

I filed a police report, had pictures taken by the officer, and talked to SWANN about the accident. I gave them a copy of the police report, and was told that the man I spoke to had to speak to his boss about the matter of paying for the damages.

I just received a phone call stating that they refused to pay for the damages, claiming they were not at fault. I only have liability coverage (can't afford anything more). The man likened it to a rock hitting a window while driving on the highway. I had to disagree, but he still refused.

Do I have a chance at getting the damage paid for if I take it to small claims? Please advise, I cannot afford to pay this on my own!

ecmst12

If you are on the highway, and a rock rolls off a truck and hits your car without hitting the ground first, that's a collision that the truck driver/owner is responsible for. If the rock hits the ground FIRST, and then your car, that's a no-fault comp claim on your own insurance.

Unless the rock hit the ground first, the building owner is liable. However, you might have a hard time PROVING the rock rolled off the roof if the only witness you have is your sister, who is obviously biased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">