+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    do I have to pay taxes on accident claim?

    What is the name of your state? AZ

    Hi, I am about to receive a settlement from an accident in which a uninsured motorist hit me and I had injuries. My question is will I have to pay any income tax on my settlement? If I do, am I liable for the total including Dr. & Lawyers share or just my share? (both the dr & lawyer are getting more than I am
    Thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Generally not, since it is considered a replacement of money you lost and not actual income. But ask your lawyer to be sure.

    A search of this site would have found you this information, also.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008


    I have the same question but I live in Florida. My 14 year old daughter and I received separate Insurance checks as compensation from a car accident that we were in. The insurance company of the person who hit me is the one who sent us the checks. Do either of us have to pay taxes on this money or is it all ours?

    Thank you for your help!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    The answer is the same as above.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I do believe you would have to pay taxes on any portion of your claim that represents lost income or wages (if applicable).

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Who can claim on taxes?
    By Shr00m in forum Child Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 11:32 PM
  2. Claim On Taxes
    By CBROWN1205 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 08:23 AM
  3. Have to Claim on Taxes?
    By jason0622 in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 10:35 AM
  4. CA accident claim - after previous accident
    By ReginaKelly in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 10:29 PM
  5. he wants to claim her on his taxes, please help
    By lolrogers in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2001, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.