• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to replace my airbags?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slym80

I live in California and 2 yrs ago I was in an accident that caused both airbags to deploy. I want to sell the car now but have not replaced the airbags. Can I sell the car with no airbags???

NJInjury

I don't know if you can or can't from a legal perspective. I think it would be hard to insure or register with deployed air bags.

Would you buy a car which was in an accident, the airbags went off and it hasn't been properly fixed? I wouldn't.

I would wonder what else isn't fixed/repaired properly. You could always present a potential buyer with a quote to replace them from a dealership and explain why you hadn't done so. Be prepared to offer a substantial discount trying to sell it that way.

Good luck.

moburkes

What insurance company is going to know that the airbags weren't repaired?:confused:

OP, you will need to specify, if the sale is even legal, that there are no airbags. I'm not sure, either, who would buy that vehicle from you. I also wouldn't want to be in your position when the new owner gets involved in an accident, and tries to say that you never told them that there were no airbags.

NJInjury

Mo-

don't insurance companies sometimes come and take picture of the vehicle? Also, if they offer a reduced premium for air bags based on the VIN...and there are none...wouldn't that be along the lines of fraud and allow the ins co. to deny any liability should there ever be an accident or claim? Assuming of course that they found out.

I wonder if the OP got some insurance money and just never fixed it.

moburkes

The only states where it is required is FL and NY. SOMETIMES, an agent will take a picture, but they won't be able to tell, by looking at the vehicle, that there are no airbags.

outonbail

The only states where it is required is FL and NY. SOMETIMES, an agent will take a picture, but they won't be able to tell, by looking at the vehicle, that there are no airbags.
Unless the vehicle has a little "airbag" trouble light on the dash that remains on.
Some vehicles may even have a "service" light that will stay on if there is a fault present in the airbag circuit, which there would be if the bags were completely missing.
I don't if all newer vehicles equipped with air bags have the system integrated in the computer controls or not, although I would imagine most do.
I had a friend who's Saturn was missing the air bag and it caused a trouble light to remain on in his vehicle. But at about $1,500.00 per air bag, he didn't let the light bother him at all, he would just say that he had complete faith in the seat belts,,,,, :rolleyes:

justalayman

Unless the vehicle has a little "airbag" trouble light on the dash that remains on.
Some vehicles may even have a "service" light that will stay on if there is a fault present in the airbag circuit, which there would be if the bags were completely missing.
I don't if all newer vehicles equipped with air bags have the system integrated in the computer controls or not, although I would imagine most do.
I had a friend who's Saturn was missing the air bag and it caused a trouble light to remain on in his vehicle. But at about $1,500.00 per air bag, he didn't let the light bother him at all, he would just say that he had complete faith in the seat belts,,,,, :rolleyes:
There are ways around the trouble lights but I will not divulge them as it allows those that wish to to defraud a buyer.

to the original question, sort of;

if you sell a car that you had fixed and did not have the airbags replaced and you did not notify the purchaser of that fact, you could be held liable at least in a civil court for damages resulting from that fraudulent action. I suspect that depending upon the circumstances and the injury resulting from the lack of airbags, you may be able to be held criminally liable.

fendi71

Frustrated car issues

We purchased a car with the airbags deployed without our knowledge. The dealership and bank aren't taking any responsibility. What can we do????

quincy

We purchased a car with the airbags deployed without our knowledge. The dealership and bank aren't taking any responsibility. What can we do????
Please start your own thread with your question, fendi71.

This thread is from 2007 and the original poster was from California. You are from Ohio. Laws change over time and state laws can vary in significant ways. Plus, this forum prefers that archived threads remain in the archives.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">