• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leian

What is the name of your state? michigan

I was involved in a 3 car accident. My car hit a truck that hit another truck. I took pictures of the accident and my car was the only vehicled damaged. Now the lady who was hit by the truck I hit is asking that I pay for her deductable. She has hired a lawyer and he has moved the suit from small claims court to a general civil docket. How should I handle this?

racer72

my insurance company doesnt cover her deductable only mine
Ah, Michigan and no fault insurance. One way or another, you will have to pay the other party's deductable. I would pay it before there are a bunch of court costs and lawyer fees attached to it.

justalayman

so what. In Michigan, all you are responsible for, unless there is a death or severe injury, is the $500 mini-tort per state statute.

If a suit is filed without either of the 2 above being present, although you would have to defend against it, your insurance company should take care of your legal reprentation and they will still only get the $500.

leian

OK. So I'm send her a check becuase i know her lawyer and her will show up. mind you she was taking me to civil and the day before the court date. . her lawyer sent me a paper saying his representing her and it wont be at small claims and to wait for the new court date.

justalayman

what did the summons state they were seeking?
and just to be sure; you actually did have insurance at the time of the accident, correct??

moburkes

yes i do. full coverage so i thought by geico.
I have no idea what this means. You have liability in case they sue you for pain and suffering (which they don't qualify for in this situation) and you have collision coverage which repairs your vehicle. But, if you are at fault in an accident, the not at fault party (either or both of them) can sue you for up to $500 towards their deductibles. This is how insurance has worked in your state since before you were born. Do you think it somehow failed you, or GEICO has failed you?:confused:

leian

she was taking me to small claims and it just stated that she thought i was trying to not pay her 500 for her deductable. and the day be fore the court date i recieved a paper saying that this guy is going to represent her and that it will be moved to general civil docket and to expect a nother letter from the court for the new court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">