• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I settle? Or consider trial and jury? Worth it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LostInNy

What is the name of your state?NY

My question is this: Auto accident, rear ended, back broken, surgery done, etc. etc. Lost our house, jobs, ability to work for my life. I'm sure everyone going through the same thing understands. We've been told by attorney we have solid case. It's been 3 years and we're at arbitrations at this point. My question is we've been asked over and over "do you want to settle or go to trial?". Is it worth going to trial, or will it cost me more in the end for fees, witnesses, etc. Not to mention stress and going through the whole process. I mean I'm not in a hurry to settle, however, if it's going to cost me the same in the end, then it's obvious to not go to trial right? Or is it a huge difference in payout standards for me to wait for what lawyer refers to as "sympathetic jury". Please don't think I'm trying to be "money hungry", not that at all. Just want to know what's best and can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

seniorjudge

LostInNy said:
What is the name of your state?NY

My question is this: Auto accident, rear ended, back broken, surgery done, etc. etc. Lost our house, jobs, ability to work for my life. I'm sure everyone going through the same thing understands. We've been told by attorney we have solid case. It's been 3 years and we're at arbitrations at this point. My question is we've been asked over and over "do you want to settle or go to trial?". Is it worth going to trial, or will it cost me more in the end for fees, witnesses, etc. Not to mention stress and going through the whole process. I mean I'm not in a hurry to settle, however, if it's going to cost me the same in the end, then it's obvious to not go to trial right? Or is it a huge difference in payout standards for me to wait for what lawyer refers to as "sympathetic jury". Please don't think I'm trying to be "money hungry", not that at all. Just want to know what's best and can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

The reason you cannot get a straight answer is that no one but you has all the facts.

However, there is an old proverb: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The BEST odds you have in a courtroom are 50-50.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">