• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do insurance company's have a formula

• Thread starter barbarabandyszewski
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbarabandyszewski

Last March I was in a car accident in Nevada (not my fault). I have gone through a lawyer which I have fired but since the insurance company made a settlement offer he is due his percentage and no other lawyer will touch this. My question .... a demand letter was sent out asking for $21thousand (I don't expect that much) and the insurance company came back with $11thousand. When everything is said and done and all is paid for I will come out owing money (they totaled my car, I got about $3thousand for it) I asked them point blank what formula they use to come up with this figure and they said they don't use one and really just danced around my question. Does Nevada have a formula they use for "reasonable compensation"? Also I was on half days from after the accident till June, which is when the Dr released me back to full time, the insurance agent questions the amount of time I was on 1/2 days even though I was at thearpy and/or the Dr almost every day (I have sent them copies of all the Dr & thearpy reports highlighting all problems I complained about during this time ). I explained to them that I am a reciptionist/office manager and I could not perform my job becasue of the pain in the neck (answering phones), back (sitting at a desk to do paper work) and wrists (typing) If they are questioning this what does it mean to me with regards to compensatioin? Can I do anything about it?

There is no formula. Total losses are supposed to be based on the actual cash value (ACV) of the car at the moment just prior to the accident. They way it normaly works is that an appraiser goes out and looks at the damage and determins whether the car is repairable or is totaled. In most states a car is a total loss once the damages exceed 80% of the ACV (this is by statute). If the car is a total loss then the appraiser makes a determination as to the previous condition of the car to include high or low milage, options, etc. Based on the appraiser's notes the car is given a value based on the current blue book for the month of the accident. The blue book's "retail" figure is never considered. Without an attorney you are at a great disadvantage in negotiating with the adjuster. Each bodily injury case is valued indivdualy based on the doctor's evaluation and % of permanent injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">