• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have to pay or tell??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamakin4

What is the name of your state? Maine

Teenage friend of my teenage daughter admits that she fell asleep at the wheel of my daughter's car, hit a curb and caused $900 worth of damage. My daughter was a passenger. No police report filed.

Her parents agree to pay only 1/2 of the cost of repair AND REFUSE to tell me the name of their insurance company. I only have collision on this vehicle----can they do that? Is my ONLY recourse to sue them? And if so, will paying for the repairs myself now hurt my case in the future?

Sign me- "Steamed like a lobster in Maine":mad:

HomeGuru

9+ Piginally posted by mamakin4 [/i]
What is the name of your state? Maine

Teenage friend of my teenage daughter admits that she fell asleep at the wheel of my daughter's car, hit a curb and caused $900 worth of damage. My daughter was a passenger. No police report filed.

Her parents agree to pay only 1/2 of the cost of repair AND REFUSE to tell me the name of their insurance company. I only have collision on this vehicle----can they do that? Is my ONLY recourse to sue them? And if so, will paying for the repairs myself now hurt my case in the future?

Sign me- "Steamed like a lobster in Maine":mad:
[/QUOTE]

**A: Dear Red Claw,
what did your insurance company tell you when you filed your claim with them?

M

mamakin4

Allstate told me that IF I had comp on the car, then THEY would do the footwork and search out this mystery insurance company so they could get reimbursed for their payout. Of course, if I had comp- then I wouldn't be on here anyway.

Options other than those that might have me arrested?

HomeGuru

mamakin4 said:
Allstate told me that IF I had comp on the car, then THEY would do the footwork and search out this mystery insurance company so they could get reimbursed for their payout. Of course, if I had comp- then I wouldn't be on here anyway.

Options other than those that might have me arrested?
**A: ok, then small claims court.

M

mamakin4

And another thing.........

completely irrelevant but at least an interesting take on the human condition--her parents have plenty of money. Dad just bought a condo in Florida to match his condo here, drives a Lexus and set Mom up in a new house for her ex-wife self.

Do I sound bitter? Single mom of 4---you betcha!

Still boiling.....put a fork in me--I think I'm done.

M

mamakin4

Hoping you wouldn't say that....

Will having it fixed during interim impact my case?

HomeGuru

mamakin4 said:
And another thing.........

completely irrelevant but at least an interesting take on the human condition--her parents have plenty of money. Dad just bought a condo in Florida to match his condo here, drives a Lexus and set Mom up in a new house for her ex-wife self.

**A: you are right, absolutely no relevancy wahtsoever to the main insurance issue at hand.

Do I sound bitter? Single mom of 4---you betcha!

Still boiling.....put a fork in me--I think I'm done.

**A: you look a bit sexy with that fork.

stephenk

Having your car fixed would help your case because you would have a firm repair cost instead of an estimate. an estimate can always be negotiated downward.

M

mamakin4

thank you for the replies and good advice.

will have it fixed, then saddle up my pony and off to court we will go.

look for me on Judge Judy. thanks again.

If the girl fell asleep driving and hit a curb, this is a COLLISION loss, not Comp. She collided with a curb.

Since you said you carry collision coverage, go back to your insurance company, have them handle your damage. This is absolutely, positively not a comp loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">