• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor hold back medical records??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaLynn67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I was in an auto accident Feb 2008, a nursing home van rear ended me. My question is, I have a lawyer.. he asked me to get my medical records from my chiropractor.. BUT when I went to the facility to get them the lady said she couldnt give them to me because I had a balance on my bill. She is aware that I have a lawyer. I asked earlier when I was STILL getting treated to see my Bill-to-date, and she acted shady, saying she couldnt give me that info. I checked Louisiana state laws etc. I couldnt find anything that stated the a doc could keep my records from me. So, what grounds are they standing on? Can a doctor deny my request for my medical records because of my bill?? Or is it because it is accident related?? They know they will get paid. I dont understand... please help !:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

No, they can't refuse to release your records for that reason. But why doesn't your lawyer request them himself?

JaLynn67

thank you for replying, Well, the day I asked the lady for them she stated she will send them to the lawyer but cant give them to me. ( oh, I live by the chiro and I thought it would be faster to walk in a ask.) Ive never had a problem til now with getting records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">