• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does an insurance company have the rights to do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

le_008

What is the name of your state? ma

i recently got into a car accident and the insurance company of the person that hit my car told me that i have a choice of going to them or they can come to my house so that they can check the damage of my car in order to estimate the cost for fixing it. i told them to come to my house and they said that they will contact me about when they will come. two days later from the day that i talked to the insurance company, i recieved a letter stating how much money i will receive for fixing the car. apparently they had come to my house to look at the car without me knowing. i asked my family if they were home when these people came. everyone said no.

do the insurance company have the right to step onto your property without you or any family member knowing?

zippysgoddess

Well yes. By tellling them you wanted them to come to the house, you gave them permission. They also don't need anyone with them since they are just looking at the car to asses the damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">