• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a park have liability if a tree falls on your vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majorpain67

I live in Missouri. I was a passager in a motor vehicle driving through a local park and a tree fell on use while driving. no one was seriusly hurt other than strained necks, backs and some cuts. The truck, which was an F-150 was completely totaled. Can we, driver and passangers seek damages from the park system? By the way the tree was about 2.5 to 3 ft. in diameter and we were caught underneath the canopy of the tree so every part of the truck was hit. The trunk was hallowed out because of termite infestation.

racer72

Unless you can prove the park knew the tree was in bad shape and was a hazard, it will be very hard to prove the park was negligent. It probably would not hurt to talk to a local attorney to see if there is a case but don't get your hopes up.

majorpain67

now, I did find out that the park was supposed to have been clearing all dead, deseased and infested trees as a part of a grant that they recieved.

moburkes

now, I did find out that the park was supposed to have been clearing all dead, deseased and infested trees as a part of a grant that they recieved.
Then ask them to pay for the damage. But, again, insurance would have quickly and easily taken care of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">