• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Livid

I live in NJ and 2 months ago, my cat was attacked by my neighbor's Akita. The cat was on my driveway, and her dog was leashed, but not muzzled. The dog has had problems with other animals in the neighborhood before. She admitted guilt to my husband and me, and paid the initial vet emergency bill in full. The cat required further surgery and medication, which we paid out of pocket. She now refuses to pay anything further and has lied to her parents home owners insurance stating that the cat was not on my property. The home owners is paying her back in full and we get $40. Do we have any chance of winning if we take her to small claims court?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Did you settle for the 40 already? or was that the initial vet bill?

I think you should take her to small claims, if not to get your other vet bills, but to make sure this dog is either muzzled or destroyed.

Most states have gotten rid of the one free bite rule and it seems this dog has more lives than the cat.

Go to the freeadvice.com homepage. Click on STATE LAWS, then click on small claims and go to your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">