• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DOG BITE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KMYERS6

MY NEIGHBORS PUPPY GOT LOOSE AND WAS RUNNING IN THE STREET SO WE PUT THE DOG IN THE YARD UNTIL SOMEONE CAME FOR IT. MY DAUGHTER WAS PLAYING IN THE YARD ON THE TRAMPOLINE GOT OFF TO GET A BALL TO PLAY WITH THE DOG AND THE DOG NOCKED HER DOWN SCRATCHED HER LEGS ARM AND BACK THEN BIT HER EAR. SHE RECEIVED 11 STITCHES IN HER EAR. THE DOG WAS TAKEN IMMEDIATELLY BY ANIMAL CONTROL, IT WAS CONCIDERED TO BE A VISCIOUS ATTACK. WHERE DO WE STAND AS FAR AS MEDICAL BILL, AND SCARING TO MY DAUGHTER? MY DAUGHTER IN NO WAY PROVOCKED THE PUPPY AND MY NEIGHBOR HAS NOW BECOME MAD ABOUT THE HOLE THING. PLEASE HELP.

K MYERS
[email protected]
PALM BAY FLORIDA

E

Elliotg

I am an attorney practicing in the greater Tampa/St. Pete area. Fl has a strict liability statute regarding dog bites. While the statute isn't as "strict" as the term would apply, nevertheless the facts given lead me to believe that you probably have a good cause of action. You should retain an attorney. This should be handled on a contingency fee basis. Be careful about entering settlement negotiations without an attorney. Does the dog dog owner have homeowners insurance? How bad are your child's injuries (scaring, etc...)?
A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting the Florida bar and/or the local bar association.
While you are probably to far away for me to consider taking the case, nevertheless, please feel free to give me a call 727/804-3609.
Good Luck.

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information without first obtaining a formal consultation with an attorney.

racer72

Have been studying similar situations in school. You may have to take some of the blame in this manner. You put your daughter at risk for allowing a strange dog loose in the same area that your daughter was playing. And you state that your daughter was playing with the puppy at the time of the attack. You did not state what type of dog it was and that could make the difference whether it was a legitimate dog attack or just an overly excited puppy playing. If you have to sue for damages, these are the examples of what you will be asked. The dog owner should take responsibility for the medical bills, his dog did cause the injuries, but you may be responsible for any follow up care such as counseling. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">