• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite & subsequent fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barefootsafari

Recently the latch on my fence failed and my dog got out. As a result a gentleman walking down the back alley behind the house was bit and fell on the ice trying to get away. The bite was a 1 inch superficial wound, however, when he fell, he dislocated his shoulder. On the "bite report" it lists the victims identity and whether or not he is seeking restitution. He has indicated that he would like his medical expenses reimbursed.

At this point the victim has made no attempt to contact me regarding the issue of reimbursement. I am not the owner of the house. I did not have renter's insurance that covered the dog at the time of the bite.

I have several questions.
1.) Becuase the fall was on public property, does the landlord's homeowner's insurance cover the fall?
2.) I have been told at this point that I do not need an attorney. However, I am concerned about the victim and his injuries. Should I call the victim to make sure that he is o.k. and to inquire about the amount of the medical bills? Or, by calling the victim am I surrendering some of my rights as the responsible party?

Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

barefootsafari said:
Recently the latch on my fence failed and my dog got out. As a result a gentleman walking down the back alley behind the house was bit and fell on the ice trying to get away. The bite was a 1 inch superficial wound, however, when he fell, he dislocated his shoulder. On the "bite report" it lists the victims identity and whether or not he is seeking restitution. He has indicated that he would like his medical expenses reimbursed.

At this point the victim has made no attempt to contact me regarding the issue of reimbursement. I am not the owner of the house. I did not have renter's insurance that covered the dog at the time of the bite.

I have several questions.
1.) Becuase the fall was on public property, does the landlord's homeowner's insurance cover the fall?
2.) I have been told at this point that I do not need an attorney. However, I am concerned about the victim and his injuries. Should I call the victim to make sure that he is o.k. and to inquire about the amount of the medical bills? Or, by calling the victim am I surrendering some of my rights as the responsible party?

Thanks for your help.

My response:

Do you see that writing in RED up there? Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">