• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Hit by car & Killed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brcka99

My dog got out of my yard and ran into the street all the traffic stopped and a couple go out of their car to getthe dog. He was standing still in the middle of the road confused by all the lights. Every car had stopped when this mini van came barreling down the street and hit my dog as he stood still in the road. My dog died a few minutes after I got there. My dog had just become a father 3 weeks earlier and was AKC registered German shorthaired pointer. No amount of money could bring back Our family dog. My female (who just had pups) is having a very hard time dealing with him being gone. What can I do to make this guy pay for being so neglectful and talking on the cell phone instead of watching where he is going. I live in cook county Illinois. THank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

brcka99 said:
My dog got out of my yard and ran into the street all the traffic stopped and a couple go out of their car to getthe dog. He was standing still in the middle of the road confused by all the lights. Every car had stopped when this mini van came barreling down the street and hit my dog as he stood still in the road. My dog died a few minutes after I got there. My dog had just become a father 3 weeks earlier and was AKC registered German shorthaired pointer. No amount of money could bring back Our family dog. My female (who just had pups) is having a very hard time dealing with him being gone. What can I do to make this guy pay for being so neglectful and talking on the cell phone instead of watching where he is going. I live in cook county Illinois. THank you.
My response:

This is way too much of an emotional issue. I understand your post, and your feelings. It's a terrible thing to happen.

However, it appears you already have your mind made up about the issues, your rights, and everything else. Therefore, rather than discuss the points with you, to give you my opinions, I would suggest that you obtain a consultation with an attorney near to your area.

Good luck to you.

B

brcka99

DOG HIT AND KILLED

I guess my question is, DO I HAVE A CASE OR NOT???

I want to know if I proceed a civil suit, should the insurance co not pay would I have enough to win. I don't want to get into somthing if I don't have a chance of winning because it is to much of a heart ache to relive over and over unless I know that my case is solid and I have a good chance of winning.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: DOG HIT AND KILLED

brcka99 said:

I want to know if I proceed a civil suit, should the insurance co not pay would I have enough to win. I don't want to get into somthing if I don't have a chance of winning because it is to much of a heart ache to relive over and over unless I know that my case is solid and I have a good chance of winning.

Thanks
My response:

I already knew that this is what you were asking. And you're already way too emotional for a discussion on these issues because now you have started using capital letters.

Unless someone else wants to respond to you, I will only suggest that you obtain a consultation with an attorney near to your area.

IAAL

T

TimC

Step one is to start figuring out an explanation as to why the leash law was being violated at the time. No matter what case you decide to file, that is going to be the very first question that is asked of you.

If you truly feel that you have a legitimate, legal reason why the dog was not on a leash, and in the middle of a public street, then your next step is to contact the driver of the van and ask for his insurance information, so that you can make a claim. Be prepared to answer that first question over and over again, though.

Was a ticket given to the driver of the van by the officer who filled out the accident report? Does the accident report indicate fault of any kind?

More information is needed.

HomeGuru

Re: DOG HIT AND KILLED

brcka99 said:

Thanks
Unfortunately the law is not on your side with respect to these issues.

LegalBeagle

A second neglectful action does not cancel the first. You were neglect in your handling of the dog in the first place. You may even end up having a claim for damages land in your postbox from the driver/insurance.

L

LadyFable

If your city has a leash law then unfortunately you probably do not have a case. In fact if there was damage to the vehicle that hit the unleashed dog, then you (as the owner) may be liable for the cost of repairs as a result of the accident.

I'm very sorry that your dog was killed. It was a very unfortunate thing to happen. Unfortunately I do not know of any courts/judges that would compensate you because your other dog is grieving the loss of her mate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">