• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog killed by Pit Bull

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LuckyDog

What is the name of your state? I live in Louisiana. One Sunday morning about 3 weeks ago, I was walking my 2 Dachshund mix dogs, on leashes. A Pit Bull stepped out from behind a tree and attacked, biting the larger dog (17 lbs) on the back and hip. I managed to get my dogs away from him, only to have him jump on the smaller dog (14 lbs), pinning him in the yard and chewing on his neck. I fought with the pit bull for what seemed like an hour to me (probably only a few minutes) screaming as loudly as I could to try to get someone to come out side and help me. 2 cars passed by, slowing down to look, but not offering any assistance. Finally, 2 kind men came from across the street and somehow, got the pit bull to let go so I could rescue my dogs.

The larger dog is recovering from his physical wounds, but missing his brother terribly. The smaller dog died from his wounds 2 days after the attack.

The LA-SPCA has made several attempts to pick up the pit bull but never finds the owner at home. I think he's hiding, not answering the door. The owner is a policeman. :mad: He stood in my living room, apologizing for his dog getting loose from his chain, stating that the fence was down, and telling me that the dog had been abused, and trained to fight. He said he hoped he could love the dog and nurture the dog to be nice. (Yeah, right).

Does anyone out there think that the Policeman :mad: should be held accountable for his failure to maintain control of a dog that he knew was vicious? My friends think I should contact an attorney and sue the **** out of the policeman :mad: .

Thanks for letting me vent. This was the MOST horrific thing I have ever experienced.

M

maxim2

Dawgs are vicous dirty animals and you should know better then to walk them on the street!

This is why you get a fenced in yard.

So, Yes you should sue the crap out that pitiful excuse for a police officer. And hopelfully they will fire him as well.

H

hmmbrdzz

I am extremely sorry for the loss of your dog and what you have had to witness. Whatever happened with regards to this pit bull -- the authorities should be intervening very aggressively on your behalf. The dog should be found, impounded, and ultimately put to death. If this dog was owned by a police officer, you need to seek the advice of an attorney. This was a terribly negligent act by this officer (to let his dog get loose), and the circumstances surrounding the police officer's ownership of this dog needs to be investigated to the hilt. Unfortunately, sometimes these dogs are intentionally diverted from euthanasia by corrupt authorities for private purposes, and this is highly illegal. Even if this were the case after an investigation were conducted, I don't know what type compensation you could get, but I would definitely advise you to seek the advise of an attorney and do so now. If this dog owner can't be found, or if the dog can't be found, you also need to call the DA's office and speak to someone about this case. Media attention would also be an avenue.

I love dogs, including pit bulls, but you've got a case here that needs investigating to the fullest extent, and you need to push it hard.

Good luck. And again, I am very sorry for the loss of your dog.

hmmbrdzz

nailtech

here are the laws of lousiana on vicioius animals... these statutes state if you called the police then they should have picked up the animal that day....(copy and paste the url into a browser - the part... good luck.. [url]http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/tsrs.asp?lawbody=RS&title=14&section=102.13

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/tsrs.asp?lawbody=CC&title=2321&section=

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/tsrs.asp?lawbody=RS&title=14&section=102.16

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/tsrs.asp?lawbody=RS&title=3&section=2773

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/tsrs.asp?lawbody=RS&title=14&section=102.15

hope these help,
did you by chance call the police and make a report??
do you know if the policeman own his home or is he renting? if he owns it then his homeowners ins. should cover your cost

nailtech

ok the search links are not working, sorry, so you will have to type into the search.
first pull up this link....

http://www.legis.state.la.us/tsrs/search.htm

then in the yellow search part, make sure the you check the box that says all of the above, the type in vicious animal..

it will pull up your results, the ones I had linked in my previous post were the one's revelant to you.. only had to go about 2 or 3 pages.... you can reference them with mine by their numbers on the end of my previous links on other post... sorry...

good luck...

L

LuckyDog

Thanks folks!

Thanks for your replies and for the info. I will go check out the links you posted, nailtech. BTW: I called the police and they came out, but I think since it was one of their "brethren", they must've felt a report wasn't necessary :confused:

I have talked to two different attorneys and they both said basically the same thing: send the policeman:mad: a letter requesting money to pay the vet bills ($1,000+) by certified mail, and if he doesn't pay up, then I can sue him for that money. They both said that the law won't do any more than that. I'm not looking to get any big bucks for "pain & suffering" or for "mental anguish", but would like to see JUSTICE done here. That's all. :(

The letter will go out in certified mail today.

Thanks for your help.

H

hmmbrdzz

Very best of luck to you, LuckyDog. To make sure this is appropriately investigated from a criminal aspect, you keep plugging and getting in someone's space and face if need be.

Best wishes.

hmmbrdzz

kat1963

That is so very sad. We had one burst thru our screen door & attack our border collie. Just like that, out of the blue (we are pretty rural here). Luckily, BC's are FAST dogs and he wasn't able to get a good enough grip on Sally before my husband & sister knocked it out with a couple of chairs. I was running to get my toddler & teacup poodle out of the way (& then the 38).

Anyway, have you tried petfinder.org? I looked quickly and in LA they do have a doc mix who needs a loving home! Here is what it says about him:

Rudolph is an absolutley adorable 10 month old wirehaired dachsie mix (although he looks almost pure)! He weighs 8 pounds, is neutered, and has been vet checked. Please call Gloria at 466-4015 if you are interested. Picture to come.

Other then that, I've seen Judge Judy run irresponsible dog owners up one & down the other! Might sound silly, but heck....and at least you'd know you'd get PAID.

I'm sorry for your loss. What a nightmare!!

KAT

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi all: Both of these stories are awful! Kat you're very lucky (and especially your border and toddler and teacup were lucky) to have survived that. How awful. Yes.... we need Judge Judy! I used to volunteer some with placement efforts for our SPCA here, and it's such a good thing when people adopt a pet who's in need of placement. Good for the person; good for the pet.
Until I got a computer (which wasn't until recently), I had no idea there were such tremendous efforts being made all over the country in the name of placing unwanted pets. I think it's great. If you're into that kind of stuff and like looking at the dogs out there who need homes, thought you might enjoy looking at some of these sites, too. They've got dachshund mixes and border sites (all dog breeds). This is an "elderly" dog site index, but they need homes too! Poor old doggies. I bet that larger Dachshund IS missing his brother badly. I know mine would miss each other. I hope his wounds are healing OK. Wishing you guys the best.

hmmbrdzz

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/agencies.breed.html

L

LuckyDog

Thanks KAT for your reply. I've thought about Judge Judy, funny you should say that.

And I know my Lucky needs a playmate, but I'm not sure I'm ready just yet. I'm still grieving a little.....

That's really scary, what happened to you! I can't imagine another animal coming INSIDE my home to attack my dogs.

L

LuckyDog

For Nailtech: I pulled up and printed all the references you sent (Thanks so much for that). I don't think that the courts are going to consider the dog "vicious" because he only killed another dog, and didn't bite me.

Another woman in the neighborhood told me that she was bitten by a german shepherd that came after her 2 small dogs as she was walking them. The SPCA picked up the shepherd, but then gave it back to the owners. So, apparently, they didn't consider that animal vicious either, even though it had bitten a human.

At this point, I'm considering taking off a week of work to "stake out" the guys house, with the SPCA on speed dial on my cell phone to try to catch him. Or, maybe with a bazooka....

For hmmbrdzz: Yes, Lucky definately misses his brother. My heart just breaks for him when I take him to the park and he finds another small dog to run around in circles with. Then I have to take him home and he just plops on the sofa and looks at me with his big mournful eyes. It's like he keeps asking me to bring his brother back.

If and when I do get ready for another dog, I will most certainly check out all the "unwanted dogs" first. I feel very strongly about that, having rescued my two from the executioners.

H

hmmbrdzz

You probably aren't going to believe this, but when I saw your post "LuckyDog", I wondered if one of your dogs' names was Lucky. I didn't want to say too much, though, because I know how "depressing" a time like this can be (and how to hear about other dogs can make it even more unbearable!) But anyhow.... I do want to tell you about our Lucky since he is from Baton Rouge, LA! My folks, (parents, who are now elderly and live nearby) brought a dog back from Baton Rouge about nine years ago when they went down there to visit my sister (who lives there and works rescue with basset hounds and corgis). She talked them into bringing him all the way back here (about 500 miles away!) Lucky is a mix between a dachshund and (something!) -- we think Bassett. He is SO cute. They were going to name him "Huey" for the infamous governor down there, but everyone thought Lucky was better! He's splay footed as can be. Stands with his little front legs turned almost all the way to the side! He's getting old. Has recently developed some arthritis. He's my dad's side kick -- goes on walks with him everywhere, but walks are having to be limited lately on account of back problems (Lucky's back problems!) Anyhow... still wishing you the best, and I know how very hard it can be to even THINK about another dog right now..... so just give yourself time. If one of mine were to go, I'd be in bereavement for a MONTH! You may never opt to get another one, but we will know you'll always have a LuckyDog by your side, and hopefully for a long time.

Here's a site from Baton Rouge, LA. Queen Elizabeth (the 90 lb. basset pictured about three or four down) was just adopted about a week ago. (Sister called me very excited over it.) I'll leave you alone now! Hope you get this guy.

Oh.... about "vicious". (I gotta tell you one more thing.) We just had a HUGE case here (lots of media attention) involving a pit bull who had been termed "vicious" by police about 6 months ago. The laws at that time only allowed them to instruct the owner to keep the dog inside their house (they couldn't confiscate the dog for whatever reason even though there had been complaints on it). Well.... the owner had a 3 yr old son. That pit pull utimately attacked and almost killed this 3 yr. old child inside the house. It was a horribly brutal scene. I didn't even like watching it on TV (media somehow got there very quickly). People were screaming, the mother was screaming, rescue personnel trying to tend to this child, who, thank goodness they didn't film. The rescue personnel were very upset -- it was just horrible. It's still on the news, and this probably occurred over a month ago. They are going to charge the owners with.... something (not sure yet). The dog was put down, and now all the laws governing pit bulls in this area are being revamped on account of this incident. That poor child is still in intensive care. THe owners just look like sorry people. They were arrogant on the news. Made me mad!

Anyhow..... here's that cute site.

http://www.dogsaver.org/bhra/Adopted.html

hmmbrdzz

L

LuckyDog

Strange coincidences!! My boys are part Dachshund and the other part = Corgi, Maybe? They look like solid black Doxies with ears that stick straight up! The legs are a tad bit longer than real doxies and their tails tend to point up instead of down. But they have all the same characteristics of Doxies: like to bark, burrow, and dig, and are a bit possessive (of me). Lucky's brothers name was Toby.

I think Lucky is recovering enough to miss having someone to play with now. Yesterday, he tried to follow a lady who was walking her small dog. I'm going to take him this weekend to meet another little dog that is owned by an elderly person who cannot care for her any longer. We'll see: Lucky's not too fond of puppies.

That is a horrible story about the pit bull and the 3-year old. I guess everyone wants to believe the best about their pets, but the animals' instincts just can't be overcome.

Thanks for all your help, kind words, etc. :) They have been appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">