• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't argue with a bus!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Keith Jenson

What is the name of your state? Utah
Four days ago I was traveling through a four-way intersection with traffic lights. As I approached the intersection the light changed from green to yellow. In a split second decision, I decided it was safer to proceed through the intersection. As I entered the intersection, a Utah Transit Authority bus comming the opposite direction, turned in front of me. I was cited for failure to obey a traffic control device. My insurance adjuster told me that the bus driver may have been cited for failure to yield, but he hasn't seen the police report yet. Since I was traveling 55-60 mph (the speed limit) and the bus was sitting still, the bus had far more time to react/wait. I am going to fight the citation and could use some imput/advice.
Thanks

Last edited:

JETX

Keith Jenson said:
I am going to fight the citation and could use some imput/advice.
Best advice, don't.
There is nothing in your post that would even lead one to believe you would be successful in challenging the citation.
Lights are timed (yellow to red) to allow a reasonable driver to stop safely. The fact that you didn't, would show that you were either speeding (too little time) or that you weren't watching the traffic light when it changed.
Your only option would be if you can show the timing is off on the traffic light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">