• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1st_accident

Wisconsin. I was in my first accident today. I do not have insurance. I was backing out of a parking stall in my apartment complex. And I "hit" a car that was going past. Since I didn't have insurance we called the police. The other driver acted like it was my fault although I didn't feel that it was mine or certainly not completely my fault. The officer filled out a form with our information and when she was ready to go I asked how did we figure out who was at fault? The officer said that was between us drivers, because they don't determine fault in parking lot accidents. The other driver said she would get an estimate on her car for me, basically letting me know she expected me to cover her car. I want to find out how they determine fault. Am I responsible for the total damage or does she have some fault. Because we basically ran into each other. And I had backed out quite a bit before we hit. The police report does state that while I was backing out, her car hit mine. Not having insurance makes me feel I have to just pay without any bargaining about her part in the accident. Basically, what are my options? I don't know if I should just pay although I don't think it's really my fault.

Last edited:

K

knotcops

Lesson #1, when backing out of a parking space, one must look both ways and proceed ONLY when clear. This accident is YOUR fault.

Lesson #2, NEVER, EVER DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE. You are now going to find out the hard way how expensive your little accident is going to cost you.

1st_accident

You are assuming that I did not look. However, I was looking over my shoulder but there was a van parked next to me that made it hard to see around. The back left end of my car obviously went out first and that is where I got hit. I didn't have insurance because I am poor, not because I am an idiot. Are you one of those people that just get a thrill out of being a jerk? I was looking for honest help, not to fill your need to be hurtful.

Last edited:
K

knotcops

1st_accident said:
You are assuming that I did not look. However, I was looking over my shoulder but there was a van parked next to me that made it hard to see around. The back left end of my car obviously went out first and that is where I got hit. I didn't have insurance because I am poor, not because I am an idiot. Are you one of those people that just get a thrill out of being a jerk? I was looking for honest help, not to fill your need to be hurtful.

I did not say you did not look. You are to proceed only when clear to do so!

Being poor as you call it is NO excuse for not having insurance, and now you will be a little poorer. Where in my response did I say you are an idiot? One thing is certain now however, you are an idiot.

Who is the jerk here? You asked for advice, received it, and don't like what you were told.

The accident was your fault, like it or not.

violetb

If you are backing out , it is your fault--sorry! And there is no excuse not to have insurance. If you are too poor for insurance then you are too poor to drive. Sorry to be so blunt , but that is the way it is.

drago

Re: Re: 1st-accident

knotcops said:
Why?????????:confused:
Simple. If the damage is on the side of 1st_accidents car and on the front of the other car then his claim might be valid.

K

knotcops

Quote:
"Simple. If the damage is on the side of 1st_accidents car and on the front of the other car then his claim might be valid".

The claim is not valid. They were backing out of a parking space. They have the responsebility to yeild the right of way, period.

drago

knotcops said:
Quote:
"Simple. If the damage is on the side of 1st_accidents car and on the front of the other car then his claim might be valid".

The claim is not valid. They were backing out of a parking space. They have the responsebility to yeild the right of way, period.
You're probably right and you'll note my use of the word "might".

I just like to have more information.

1st_accident

My car was hit on the back left side. The other car was damaged on the left front corner. I was looking for information on the laws. I wanted to know if I was totally at fault then why. I called around and found out that it is the law that the person who is backing out IS more responsible for "seeing" what is going on even though they are looking backward. However, the person going forward is also partially responsible especially since my car had backed out more then halfway out of the stall. However, anyone without insurance has to pay if they are found to be at least 50% or more responsible, which from what I understand I was.

Now, as for being to poor to have insurance, I think some of you have a very unrealistic view of the world. Maybe life hasn't hit you with what some people deal with. You are lucky.
I am a divorced mother. I worked two jobs, get my son to and from daycare and school and am also trying to go school myself, so someday I can make a decent wage. If I didn't have a car I wouldn't be able to work both jobs and get my son to and from school. Without two jobs I wouldn't make it and would probably be on Welfare, which I'm sure you all would find unforgiveable too. Public transportation is too time consuming. My reality is that even working both jobs it is still a constant struggle to pay my bills and have enough to eat. I would love to have enough to have insurance. In a perfect world everyone who worked would get paid enough to make it, but that is not what the real world is like for many people. You should be happy that you can't comprehend working hard and still not making enough to live. By the way, I can hear advice that isn't what I wanted, but the nasty, closeminded way you - Knotcops- hand out "advice" is disgusting. I was looking for actual legitimate information - facts. I found it talking to real people not on the web where people hide behind their anonymity handing out insults and pointing out the obvious or showing me the narrowness of their experiences and their minds.

Last edited:
K

knotcops

1st_accident said:
. By the way, I can hear advice that isn't what I wanted, but the nasty, closeminded way you - Knotcops- hand out "advice" is disgusting. I was looking for actual legitimate information - facts. I found it talking to real people not on the web where people hide behind their anonymity handing out insults and pointing out the obvious or showing me the narrowness of their experiences and their minds.

Lady, the real world can be harsh and brutal.

Insults, as you call them, came after your remarks. I don't evny the rich nor pity the poor. I don't hide behind the web making comments nor giving the advice I gave you concerning insurance. If you came into my office with your sob story, I would tell it like it is just as I did here.

You should not be driving without insurance, PERIOD. It is people like you, that cause the rest of us to have to pay twice as much as we should to cover your bad judgement. The only narrow minded person here is you, believing it is OK not to carry the REQUIRED coverage because you can't afford it. To bad, so sad. Now that you have caused an accident, you come here whining, trying to find a way out of your irresponsability. Be thankfull the accident did not happen out on the highway where you could have caused major injury or death.

1st_accident

Knotcops said: Be thankfull the accident did not happen out on the highway where you could have caused major injury or death.

Reply: I am thankful it didn't happen out on the highway. It would be terrible to me whether or not I had insurance if I caused great injury or death. And no where did I say I wasn't going to pay what I legitimately should. I was trying to find out my rights. I am paying and had every intention of paying. Without an insurance company I didn't have a "big company" looking out for my interests. So I came here to get information to protect myself from getting screwed. Not to screw anyone else or try and get out of my responsibility.

As for people like me raising your insurance rates. Whose the whiner now. I would say there are alot of ways people raise your insurance rates - drinking & driving, driving resklessly, including little extras in insurance claims, claiming bogus injuries, etc. I have never made a claim against insurance, don't drink and drive or since I have never even gotten a ticket I would say I don't drive recklessly. I will pay what I legit should. And if my working my ass off and still finding it completely unfeasible for me to afford to buy insurance. I would say that is one of those unfair ways that life is. I think it's unfair that I work so hard and can't afford the things that others take for granted, but no sob story, i'm working to change that. You just have to deal with the fact that some people can't afford insurance and still drive anyway and if that raises the rates maybe consider some of them are trying their damn hardest and you should suck it up and be grateful for what you have. Take it out on those who are actually frauding the insurance companies.

Last edited:
M

Mleicht

In Wisconsin your license will not be suspended for not having ins. IF you show financial responsibility. The other party can file to have your license suspended, then you will have to deposit cash to the state to cover their estimated damage to keep your license. Or you can thier bill. You can try to deal with the other party for a lesser amount, or make payments. The bottom line is your going to have to pay the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">