• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't want to be sponged!1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lee0123

What is the name of your state? New York
If my insurance company rejects the claim, I will have to pay out of pocket. How can I legally prevent the individual from coming back for more money. Had two estimates done and will pay him. Do I need to get some sort of letter stating that it is for complete job and he cannot come back for me if job gets messed up. He can take the car wherever he wants.

moburkes

What are you talking about?

If your insurance company rejects WHAT claim? How can you prevent WHO from coming back?

You've got to give more info in order to get some answers.

seniorjudge

lee0123 said:
If my insurance company rejects the claim, I will have to pay out of pocket. How can I legally prevent the individual from coming back for more money. Had two estimates done and will pay him. Do I need to get some sort of letter stating that it is for complete job and he cannot come back for me if job gets messed up. He can take the car wherever he wants.
Rephrase your question and do not use pronouns.

lee0123

undefined
lee0123 said:
I backed into an individual. If my insurance company rejects my claim. I am responsiblle for the damage and have to pay the individual out of my pocket. Say I give him a check for 800. He goes to his body shop, gets the work done, while they are working, they mess something up and the job costs more. How can I prevent him from coming back to me for more money?

seniorjudge

lee0123 said:
undefined

I backed into an individual. If my insurance company rejects my claim. I am responsiblle for the damage and have to pay the individual out of my pocket. Say I give him a check for 800. He goes to his body shop, gets the work done, while they are working, they mess something up and the job costs more. How can I prevent him from coming back to me for more money?
Have the guy sign a full release and satisfaction giving up all rights to all claims arising from an incident happening on [date].

http://www.formsguru.com/forms/legal-forms/relaccid.html

moburkes

Why are you expecting your insurance company to reject your claim? You caused an accident, you were responsible, and you pay them to insure you for this situation. However, in NY each party uses their own insurance policy to pay for the damage to their own vehicle. Unless this person didn't purchase collision. Then they should file under your property damage cover. Why didn't you file this with your insurance instead of writing them a check?

Just curious?

lee0123

seniorjudge

Are these forms legal? They only need to be notarized? Thank you for your assistance.

judge425

moburkes said:
However, in NY each party uses their own insurance policy to pay for the damage to their own vehicle. Unless this person didn't purchase collision.

Could be a little misleading.. in NY..any person who carries collision and who is involved in an accident has the right to elect whether they would like to pursue the other driver's carrier directly or recover the money from their own carrier and allow their carrier to pursue the other driver.. The former is much more burdensome but may help keep your premiums low. Any accident, whether your fault or not can adversly affect your insurance rate.. technically you need to be held 20% or more liable for an accident before they can technically raise your rates. But they generally do it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">