• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door Ding!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janismia

What is the name of your state? California

Okay so heres my problem...

I just bought a brand new car 2 weeks ago. On Saturday I was parked at a grocery store. When I came out to the car it had a dent and scratch in the door. The person left a note on his business card that said:

"Please call me. My NEIGHBOR'S son hit your car with his door. He is really sorry and so are we."

Feeling glad that the guy at least left a note, I called him. He informed me that since it wasn't his kid that did it he would call the father of the kid and have him contact us about it. I felt confident that he would because the guy was very nice, and he said the neighbor was the sheriff of our county.

Well, sure enough it is Tuesday and I still haven't recieved a call. I have left several messages on his cellphone and work voicemail (he's a manager at a bank). But no response! Its $500 to fix!

So what do I do now?

seniorjudge

janismia said:
What is the name of your state? California

Okay so heres my problem...

I just bought a brand new car 2 weeks ago. On Saturday I was parked at a grocery store. When I came out to the car it had a dent and scratch in the door. The person left a note on his business card that said:

"Please call me. My NEIGHBOR'S son hit your car with his door. He is really sorry and so are we."

Feeling glad that the guy at least left a note, I called him. He informed me that since it wasn't his kid that did it he would call the father of the kid and have him contact us about it. I felt confident that he would because the guy was very nice, and he said the neighbor was the sheriff of our county.

Well, sure enough it is Tuesday and I still haven't recieved a call. I have left several messages on his cellphone and work voicemail (he's a manager at a bank). But no response! Its $500 to fix!

So what do I do now?
I felt confident that he would because the guy was very nice, and he said the neighbor was the sheriff of our county.

I have left several messages on his cellphone and work voicemail (he's a manager at a bank).

He must be a very busy guy, being a sheriff and a bank manager. Anyway, go to his place of business and nicely chat about this matter. There could be a resolution.

janismia

the man who left the note was the bank manager, his neighbor is the sherrif. The man who left the note was driving the car, but the kid (the sheriff's kid) hit my door. The man that left the note felt since it wasn't HIS kid, that the sheriff was liable.

Who is liable?

I work, I can't take time off to go to his work... can I call the police or find his insurance company somehow?

seniorjudge

janismia said:
the man who left the note was the bank manager, his neighbor is the sherrif. The man who left the note was driving the car, but the kid (the sheriff's kid) hit my door. The man that left the note felt since it wasn't HIS kid, that the sheriff was liable.

Who is liable?

I work, I can't take time off to go to his work... can I call the police or find his insurance company somehow?
Q: Who is liable?

A: The person who did the damage.

janismia

okay your going to have to bear with me here because I am 24, fresh out of college and I have nevere even been in an accident before...

according to the note, the kid hit my car with the guy I spoke to's car door. The kid did the damage... but his parent wasn't there.

Do i need to call the police? or my insurance company? I have full coverage but I dont want my insurance to pay for it.

seniorjudge

okay your going to have to bear with me here because I am 24, fresh out of college and I have nevere even been in an accident before...

Irrelevant.

according to the note, the kid hit my car with the guy I spoke to's car door. The kid did the damage... but his parent wasn't there.

Was there a point here?

Do i need to call the police? or my insurance company? I have full coverage but I dont want my insurance to pay for it.

If you want the cops involved, call them; if not, then do not call them. If you want your insurance company involved, call them; if not, then do not call them.

tammy8

File it on your insurance...it will be filed under collision although personally I would just *eat* the fact that everyone out there has door dings. If you don't want the door dings, do As I DO, and park at the top of the lot where no cars are around you.

Good luck! Cause I fear without a police report (too late to file one of those) it is your word against his...and who wouldn't deny they had hit another car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">