• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door Ding in Parking Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rgc

What is the name of your state? TX
The wind caught my wife's door when she opened it and it dinged the car door parked next to it. The guy became very beligerant. I told my wife we would just pay for it and tell the guy to get three estimates. He said he would get three estimates but we would pay him directly and he might still call our insurance and start a claim. My questions are: Can he file a claim on our insurance with us not initiating it? Do I have to pay him directly and if he gets three bids which one am I obligated to pay? I have a problem with paying him directly. I believe he is not going to have it repaired and he wants to pocket the money. I would like to say I will pay the repair bill directly or settle for a smaller amount in cash.

stephenk

1. yes
2. lowest bid is the one to pay.

why do you care if he fixes the ding or not, your wife still caused the ding. just pay him directly and get him to sign a written release upon payment.

Mr. X hereby releases Mr. and Mrs. Y for any and all property damage to a (year and make of car) arising out of the automobile accident of (date) in exchange for payment of $________.

Have him date and sign the release. pay by check so you have a reciept of payment.

Go and sin no more.

HomeGuru

I would tell him to file a claim against his own insurance policy.
He knows that he has a deductible and the amount of repair work is most likely under the threshhold.

B

Boxcarbill

HomeGuru said:
I would tell him to file a claim against his own insurance policy.
He knows that he has a deductible and the amount of repair work is most likely under the threshhold.
And he should tell whoever suggest for him to file against his own insurance t to shove it. If it is to be filed it will be against an insurance company that it will be the dinger's insurance company or against the guy's wife who dinged the door . That will result in payment out of the dinger's pocket or the dinger will be instantly motivated to contact his insurance company to defend him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">