• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double hit & run... desperate for advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeCat

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

This is my first time posting here so please excuse any typo's, errors, or long winded wording.

I was in a doublt hit & run Aug/07 here in NJ. I was hit from behind and the force of being hit pushed me into the car in front of me. The driver that hit me, got out of his truck... walked past my car and checked on the driver in front of me, walked back past me and got into his truck, never once acknowledging me. I immediately pulled over to the side of the hwy. The driver who hit me AND the person I was pushed into BOTH drove away!!

I immediately looked at the plate of the truck that hit me and had the sense to record it as a voice memo on my cell phone. I then called 911 and waited for a trooper to arrive and file a report.

My car received over $3000 worth of damage (front and back), I was uninjured (except for being sore the entire weekend). I had to rent a car for work and max out my insurance deductable and had to layout money from my pocket to cover the extended rental costs. So all totalled I am out about $1500 between deductable and rental.

I was just summoned to court last night to testify in the case between the state and the defendant for the tickets issued of leaving the scene of an accident and failure to report an accident. The case was ajourned last night b/c the defendant that showed up was NOT the person I saw driving the vehicle that day. However I know for sure that I got the right vehicle b/c as we left court last night I saw the SAME truck that hit me as they drove off.

I am fearful that my insurance company will not have much success with binding arbitration between their and insurance co and I have little faith in a guilty judgement against the defendant vs. the state of NJ case. So my question here is, would it be to my benefit to seek my own recourse in small claims court for this money or am I just getting myself all worked up for nothing and I should just let it go?

Would appreciate anyone's advice or feed back on the matter.

Thanks again for your time. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">