• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver backed into my parked car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TONAMONY

I left my car parked halfway in my freinds yard parallel with the curb.Someone across the street backed up into my car bending the fender and shattering the parklamp.
The guy that hit my car did not leave a note or call the police.I did not notice until later that night when i was at home.I told my frend to be looking for anything suspicios
A few days later the guy that hit my car called me late at night and tried to get his freind to fix it.I knew his freind and didnt want him to fix it,because i knew he wouldnt do it right.So he offers cash,I said wait until i get an estimate,and a few people told me you dont need a police report on private property.Is this true?if you do then how long after the accident is it to late for a police report.In the process of trying to file the report one of many rookie cops tells me the guy that hit me has to come to the station with me.The guys already ducking and hiding from me now how am i supposed to get him to come to the police station with me?IS this the law,the fact that he hit my car and did not cantact authorities and has to come to the police station on his own free will.

TONAMONY
Tennessee

L

lawrat

What shows have you been watching?

Half way on private assumes partial on city property. also, a hit and run (which is what he did) is a crime.
Soooo......call the police, show the damage, and hurry to get him arrested. Or, if you don't want to call the police, and you have information on him, go to small claims court with your estimate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">