• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver at fault had no insurance, my insurance company gave me a low offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hibblenn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My accident happened in Ohio but I live in TN. I was involved in a car accident in which I was hit by a drunk driver. My friend was driving at the time and I was in the passenger seat. The driver hit us head on. He was driving in the wrong direction on the interstate. The driver at fault fled the sceen but was caught by the police. He had no license or insurance. I was taken to the emergency room by paramedics but only had minimal injuries (bruises, scrapes and a couple of small cuts). Nothing that needed for me to continue seeing a doctor. The driver of my car had no injuries. After filing this claim with the insurance company they made me an offer that was less than what I owed on my car. I do not have GAP insurance so the money would go straight to my lein holder. After this, I will still owe them a considerable amount of money and on top of that, needing to get another car. How can I handle something like this. Is there a way to get a better offer from the insurance company to cover more of the cost?

Last edited:

teflon_jones

Go to www.nada.com and get the value for your car. That's what your insurance company should be offering you. If you failed to get gap insurance and don't have the money to make up the difference, that's your problem to figure out.

hibblenn

Harsh response. But, I do have gap insurance. Is there anything within the laws of insurance that allow for something to financially help in getting another car? Right now it's a situation of starting from scratch with no money for a down payment or a car to trade in.

teflon_jones

hibblenn said:
Harsh response. But, I do have gap insurance. Is there anything within the laws of insurance that allow for something to financially help in getting another car? Right now it's a situation of starting from scratch with no money for a down payment or a car to trade in.
Not intended to be harsh, I just try and give answers as simply as possible. In your first post you said you don't have gap insurance, now you say you do. Which is it?

There is nothing to help you with what you're looking for.

hibblenn

No harm done. I didn't think I had gap insurance at first. I never recalled getting it. After making a couple of phone calls, I found out that I got it when I purchased my car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">