• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver lets out passenger in traffic?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccsf01

I live California.

Had my car at a body shop. They put my car for pick up in a traffic lane in front of body shop, where other cars were also parked. I look over my shoulder to see if I can pull out (into the 2nd lane of traffic). A car passes, I go, and I almost immediately hit that car that passed me.

That car stopped right after passing me to drop a person off in the 2nd lane of traffic.

Anyone know if what they did is illegal and I’m not at fault?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like the other car stopped to discharge a passenger AFTER the collision with you.

You failed to yield by pulling into the adjacent lane when it was not safe to do so. I don't see how the other driver did anything wrong.

justalayman

What they did is likely illegal but that does not affect your issue. You were negligent by running into a car
By not looking where you were going. That makes it your fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">