• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving a friends car..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danthegolfer

What is the name of your state? Kentucky and Virginia

Here is the deal. I am in college and do not have my car with me. I have a friend from Kentucky, his name is John. I am from Virginia. I need to borrow John's car for a couple hours to pick up another friend who wants to come visit me. When I asked John to borrow his car, he said no based on the reasoning that if I were to get in an accident, his insurance would not cover the accident. Is this true? If I were to get in an accident, would my insurance cover it, would his cover it, or what would happen?

Thanks, Dan

ecmst12

His insurance would act as the primary coverage; insurance is designed to cover other people occasionally driving your car with permission. The only exception to this is usually family members who live in your household would have to be named on the policy in order to be covered (since it's assumed that they could drive your car more then occasionally). If the damages exceeded his policy limits, yours would pick up as secondary coverage, in most cases. If the accident occurred in a no-fault state, your insurance would be the primary coverage for your medical payments only.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, each policy is different. His policy may actually exclude even occasional drivers.

OP - have you also considered that your friend just might not want you using his car?

I

ISUE4YOU2

Unless the policies contain named person exclusionary language, there would be coverage under one or both in the situation you posed.

moburkes

However, each policy is different. His policy may actually exclude even occasional drivers.

OP - have you also considered that your friend just might not want you using his car?
Yep. You should read your policies (both of them). I'm guessing that you have a valid license, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">