• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Record B.S.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Caglitz

What is the name of your state? California

My question: how do you fight inaccurate information on your driving record?

I received a speeding ticket on 09/15/1999 and did not appear. In california, if you do not appear you simply forfeit "bail", receive a conviction, and end up owing the amount. I never received a billing or order to pay and forgot about the ticket. on 08/10/2001 I went ot DMV to renew my license adn they said "your license is suspended due to an unpaid ticket" - this was almost a year after the speeding ticket an apparently I had been driving on a suspended license the whole time. I paid the ticket and moved on. I am now applying for insurance and of course this is affecting my premium. My record says "verbal notice document on file", indicating that the dirt bags at DMV figured it might be impolrtant to show that they notified me, as they should have earlier, when I went to their office a year after the fact. Again, I am pist that the DMV, with their world-renound street-mentality figures that they screwed up and didn't notify me of this suspension and I want to call them on it.

Z

zappy

What's innacurate?

You didnt pay a ticket so they suspended your license you should have been remotely bright enough to figure that one out.

They are supposed to notify you at the address on the drivers license, were you living at that address when the suspension was supposed to start?

The USPO is Not allowed to foward any mail from the Motor vehicle depts in ANY STATE. If you dont live at the address on your license thats your tough luck, You were notified.

C

Caglitz

Quote - "They are supposed to notify you at the address on the drivers license,"

this is the problem, i was not notified. I DID live at the address and DID NOT change addresses or moving was never an issue - they simply did not notify me. So now, once again, what can i do?

Bravo8

One does not receive a citation, not appear nor pay, and then forget about it. If you wish to remove the issue from your record, fine....but don't come here under false pretenses.

Now I don't exactly understand what you are disputing. Are you wishing to remove the record of suspension from your record, or just the part that says you were notified? You may have to contact your DMV and ask about their appeal/hearing process.

C

Caglitz

already done. i researched it and filled out the forms accordingly with the dmv, after having recevied the last bit of wonderful information. and although not acceptable in court, and perhaps not even in this forum, it is possible for "one" to forget if "one" had my life and responsibilities. this is a closed issue.

Z

zappy

Well i guess NOW ya know, if you dont pay the fine your license gets suspended.

>Herein lies YOUR problem....

In california, if you do not appear you simply forfeit "bail", receive a conviction.

>>>>>>You did not POST any bail money, before the trial date, if you did, you would have been found guilty, but your license would NOT have been suspended.

See the BIG difference here?

tammy8

I only hope and pray that one day I will have so much of a "life" to be able to "forget" a ticket!

The reason you are having to pay higher insurance premiums IS because you are a high risk. You can't remember to pay a ticket so what makes an insurance company believe that you will OBEY the law!

C

Caglitz

well, i TOO hope that someday, you have a life! please continue to "hope" and "pray" and maybe something will happen. as for zappy, you never did answer the question but instead, opined on the posting. when you do gain knowledge please let me know. i had forgotten that this forum is filled with self-proclaimed advisors. if you're really interested, feel free to research CVC 13365, 40508, and 40509, as these sections, coupled with DMV DL 207 solved my problem; now you know something other than nothing. you are welcome. and please continue posting so we can drag this out some more!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">