• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk Driver Hits 2 of our vehicles and now Ins Co Low-Balling Us!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jperry0620

In Nevada: A drunk driver, who was also taking the sleeping medication Ambien, ran into the back of my husbands work truck, which then hit our other vehcile that was parked in front of the work truck. This happened at 3AM on August 16th while our vehicles were parked on the street in front of our house in our very quiet neighborhood - over 6 weeks ago. At first we were waiting to find out from the Ins Co that our vehicle, a '95 Toyota 4Runner, would be a total loss so we did as they asked and researched comperable vehicles in the area to determine the damages for AAA. After waiting about 2 weeks they finally determined they would fix it. They've been paying for our rental and we were patiently waiting for our 4 Runner to be repaired. After approx 3 weeks my husband called the body shop to check the status, they said it should be ready early the next week. The following Tuesday afternoon he then called body shop again and they said that AAA had since changed their mind and they're now deeming the vehicle a Total Loss. That said, my husband spoke with the adjuster who again asked us to submit our research on comparable vehicles and such, which we had thrown away all of our previous research as we were told our 4Runner would be repaird. So, we had to spend time doing more research looking through ads online and in newspaper, calling about other 4Runners we see with FOR SALE signs, etc. Our vehicle is worth (well, not any more) around $4,500. WE sent a letter to the Ins Co, AAA, and requested $6,500 (with the hopes we would meet in the middle somewhere) because we have been invconvenienced by this incident terribly! Today he claimed that he was being very generous to offer us $4,575! I'm appalled! Short of hiring an attorney, which we cannot afford, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? We will be down to 1 car now because of their insured, we both work outside the home and we have 3 children. We still owe approx $1000 for our damaged vehicle so their offer leaves us very little to work with and were not in a posisiton financially to fork out a bunch of money or finance an expensive vehicle.

ecmst12

If your car was worth $4500, then you are owed $4500 and not a penny more. Inconvenience is not compensable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">