• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk totaled my car ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nwpassage

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Hello,

My car was parked on the street in front of my house. A drunk slammed into the rear of it thrusting it into a telephone pole. The drunk had insurance. My insurance company paid quickly and GAP paid slowly. After all was said and done I was left with a balance just over $1000 on this loan. Can I go after the drunk for this balance? Can I file in small claims or should I have a lawyer prepare a claim for me? Thank you!!!

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Can I go after the drunk for this balance? Can I file in small claims or should I have a lawyer prepare a claim for me?

Yes, yes, and yes.

ecmst12

Absolutely NOT. The drunk's insurance is responsible for the value of your vehicle and not a penny more. You being upside down on your loan has nothing to do with the accident and has no bearing on the driver's liability. Your insurance company will pursiue his for reimbursement of everything they paid plus your deductible if it was applied. Anything tlse is on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">