• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI and auto insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

delynico

I have had difficulty getting auto insurance for a car I am going to buy. I have asked my girlfriend if I can go on her insurance. She said that it is not a good idea for the following reasons: Almost 4 years ago she had a DWAI in NYS. She said that if she goes to put me on the insurance that the company will run her license and see the violation and either cancel her or raise her rates beyond belief. I said I think that she had 3 yaers to get dropped or her rates raised and if they haven't found her violation by now, it's been enough time that she shouldn't have to worry. Who is right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Neither of you.

You can't be put on your girlfriend's policy. Insurance companies recognize "wives" but not "girlfriends." Also, because she doesn't own the vehicle, she doesn't have any "protectible interest"; i.e., you can't insure something that you don't own.

Nice try, though.

IAAL

D

delynico

thanks

okay. I see. She would have to pay for some of the car and be on the title and registration? What about that rate incraese when they look up her license (which I assume they would if she was adding a car to her policy). Is there a standard of increases or can the company basically do whatever it pleases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">