• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dumptruck sign: "Stay Back 200ft. Not Responsible..." True?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rw9694

i'm in alabama. does the sign posted on dumptrucks appearing to absolve the owner of responsibility for damage from things falling off the back and into your windshield legally protect them, or is it simply a ploy?

H

Hutchinson, Ken

It does not protect them. Not only can they be sued for debris falling off their dump trucks and hitting other vehicles, but they can be issued citations by the police.

racer72

Mr. Hutchinson, I must disagree. I just asked a police officer and the sign on the truck is a legetimate warning. If you were to follow closer than 200 feet and something fell off the truck and struck your vehicle, the vehicle owner would not have any obligation to pay. The warning sign would be considered a valid disclosure of potential harm or damage.

acording to federal law (carring a cdl which is nationwide) it is interstate or intra state you are responsible for any damage caused(at least that was what I was told by the MTA, they do the enforcment in michigan but they said this was federal). your vehicle is supposed to be tarped(some states do not enforce it on local roads but if they are on a state or us highway) if it is not your load has to be at least 1 foot below the sideboards. tailgate cannot be dropping material in the roadway(all violations) i won a case with a dump truck(gravel train)who had a how is my driving sign. i have a 50 dollar decuctable on my windshield and had 3 good size chips, called them after got a police report with their truck# and plate info and they paid ,it happened outside nashville

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">