• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

electrical injury negligence liability questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shirlega

Hello, I received an electrical shock injury last Wednesday at the dentist office while in a dental chair. I received 5-8 seconds duration of 120v A/current. The assistant and doctor who were next to me broke the current inadvertantly by putting the chair upright.
I had them call paramedics, because I felt I had taken electrical current and I had no obvious injury except the remaining shaking from the involuntary muscle spasms I had while I was in the current. There was no obvious other damage to me. I see that there can be nerve damage that show up later after electric shock injury, so I don't really want to just forget this happened. It should have never happened.
The next day the electrician was called to check out the equipment. He found a frayed wire under the chair which was touching the motor because the chair was lowered down so far and there was a broken off ground prong on the plug to the dental chair --when the water was squirted into my mouth by the assistant to flush the remaining anasthetic I had just been given - I became part of the circuit and had Involuntary muscle spasms and was past the couldn't let go marker.
Afterwords no one was sure about electric shock, because they really couldn't see what was going on during event, they thought I was choking or something - til I screamed and they put the chair upright.---which saved me.
I intend to see a doctor for baseline evalualuation tomorrow.
What I'm wondering is whether I might have problems proving negligence? Most family members say no - but they are not lawyers. Does anyone who has a public business have a responsibility to keep equipment maintained to certain safety codes?
Thanks for your time...

racer72

Getting electrical shocks is a regular part of my full time job. I perform electrical functional testing on Boeing aircraft and getting shocked occasionally is part of the job. I personally have never suffered any affects from being shocked. Your muscles are sore for a few hours from the electrical current but I have never suffered any long term effects (some of my co-workers might disagree :) ). There are no requirements to check to electrical safety of equipment once it is installed. To prove negligence, you will have to prove that the dentist knew of the electrical problem and did nothing to correct it. Will he admit to knowing the chair was defective? Probably not. You may wish to speak to a personal injury attorney in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">