• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Drunk Using Business Vehicle After Hours Causes Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ivenividivici

I have a business in North Carolina and my employee decided to get drunk and use a business only truck which he was not authorized to operate after business hours and go joy riding late at night. In the process he ran red light and hit another vehicle resulting in damages and injury to those passengers. My business truck was completely totaled and all equipment was also destroyed on the truck. Who is liable here insurance/claims wise and can I recover anything for the unauthorized use and destruction of my truck? He was authorized to use this vehicle for business purposes only over the course of a normal business day. Thank you. :)

teflon_jones

You should submit this through your insurance company and then sue the employee for the damages he caused. Whether your insurance policy will cover this depends on what your policy says. If it does, and you sue the employee, your insurance company will provide representation so they can try and get their damages recouped.

Your policy may also cover the equipment. If you have a business insurance policy it may also cover it. You'll need to read your policies to find out. Either way, you can sue the employee for the value of the damaged equipment as well.

Whether or not the employee had permission to use the truck after hours really doesn't factor into this. What matters is that he was drunk and therefore negligent in his use of the truck, and is responsible for any damages he caused as a direct result of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">