• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kper39576

this is coming from vermont. my daughter works at a horse farm. a week ago one of her employer's horses bit my daughter on the breast. the force was so severe that the horse tore off, not just ripped, a piece of her shirt about six or seven inches in diameter and somehow managed to rip her bra in half such that she was wearing one half and the other half was thrown across the stall. she was bleeding and informed the barn manager of the attack. her doctor advised her to go to the emergency ward at the hospital. fortunately, it was just an abrasion and required no stitches. my question(s) is, is the employer obligated to pay for the shirt and bra, the hospital charges, and the lost wages? she normally goes to a second job following that one but obviously was unable to that day. the lost wages were only aout $25.00 and the clothing was about $75.00. i have not yet received a hospital bill.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

She is entitled to make a claim for, and receive, Worker's Compensation benefits. Her claim will include her pain, suffering, clothing loss, and lost wages.

Make sure someone from your family asks her employer for claim information. She'll need the name, address and telephone number of the insurance company. Ask the employer if he's already notified the insurance company and, if so, the name of the adjuster she must contact.

If her employer does not have Worker's Compensation insurance coverage, come back to this thread and we'll discuss her next option.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">