• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Epilepsy & Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyOak

What is the name of your state? Florida

Right now my license is Revoked because of Epilepsy. My question is two-fold. I have looked and made phone calls and can't find a difinitive answer as to how long a license is denied and for what reasons. My Grand Mals are controlled but I still have small Seizures. Right now I feel that I do NOT need to drive. So that is not a problem.

My second question is this; If and when I do drive again if I am ever in an accident can my Epilepsy be used against me? Whether or not the accident is my fault? If so, how and why.

Thanks

I had a co-worker who would periodically have her license suspended due to epileptic seizures. She once had a grand mal while driving and drove her car into the showroom of a business.

Her license would remain suspended for about six months and she would have to provide certification from her doctor that her seizures (all) were under control and had been for some period of time.

If, after you have your license back and you are in an accident, the epilepsy would not be held against you unless the accident occurred during a seizure. Then, if there were injuries to the other party, it would certainly be held against you (by the plaintiff attorney), because you are aware that you have this condition and are aware of the risk that you could possibly have a seizure while you are driving.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">