• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estimate for damage help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maks

I am in California. My son (11yrs) hit a car with his bike. I told the owner that I would pay for the damage. The owner gave me 2 estimates that were VERY high $1,277.00, and not even from our city. I took pic's of the damage and went to a shop close to home. To my suprise the man at the shop said "I already gave the owner an estimate for the damage! (The owner did not give me a estimate from this shop) The price to fix the damage from the shop in our city was $404.77!!!!
Question Do I have to pay the higher estimate? I did get a print out of the lower estimate that was givin to the owner of the car.

Sorry so long.

Shay-Pari'e

maks said:
I am in California. My son (11yrs) hit a car with his bike. I told the owner that I would pay for the damage. The owner gave me 2 estimates that were VERY high $1,277.00, and not even from our city. I took pic's of the damage and went to a shop close to home. To my suprise the man at the shop said "I already gave the owner an estimate for the damage! (The owner did not give me a estimate from this shop) The price to fix the damage from the shop in our city was $404.77!!!!
Question Do I have to pay the higher estimate? I did get a print out of the lower estimate that was givin to the owner of the car.

Sorry so long.
You agreed to pay, and NO, you cannot pick the shop. If you are unhappy then tell him to file a claim and let his insurance come after you for payment.

Lynx 36

I would try and negotiate w/ him. I wouldn't pay $1,200 when it can be done f/ $400. If he doesn't want to negotiate then tell him to turn in a claim w/ his insurance company. You may end up paying $1,200 anyway but at least you can possibly make his rates go up from turning in a claim. So you do have a little leverage here. It sounds like he isn't fixing the car, he just wants the money. Offer him $800 to go away.

If you do settle make sure you have him sign a release so this won't haunt you later. Also, in the memo section of the check make sure it is worded "for full and final payment for property damage to year, make, model.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">