• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Spouse Vandalizes My Car--Insurance Won't Cover

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burned2manyxs

What is the name of your state? Montana

Can anyone help me here? My ex spouse showered my car with rocks to the tune of $1500 of damage. The insurance company says it will not pay. The catch is that the court awarded me the car, but the ex has refused to sign off on the title. I was in the process of applying for a duplicate title to have when we go back to court to present to the judge to force him to sign. So the car was still in both our names and we are both insured by the same company. They claim that he is an insured on the vehicle policy (that I paid for) because he is on the title and they have him listed as an insured. I requested that he not be named on the policy; apparently they have him listed. My lawyer says that because the car was awarded in court, the insurance company should accept that as legal title until he is forced to sign off by the court. He is now in contempt of court. Thanks for any help or advice in advance. :confused:

Last edited:

Lynx 36

Unfortunately since your ex's name is still on the title of the car it would not be covered by the insurance company. Basically one cannot damage his own car then turn in a comp claim. Since his name is on the title, LEGALLY he is still part owner of the car.

I would also get your atty and the judge handling your divorce involved. Let them know what happened. I would think something could be done in that arena.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">