• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex wont give car back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilgyrl84

What is the name of your state?
Missouri

I signed on a car for my ex boyfriend. I'm the primary account holder and he's ina different state not making payments. Now the company's coming after me. Can i file a report for a stolen car?

Happy Trails

lilgyrl84 said:
What is the name of your state?
Missouri

I signed on a car for my ex boyfriend. I'm the primary account holder and he's ina different state not making payments. Now the company's coming after me. Can i file a report for a stolen car?
Answer this, "Did he steal it?"

lilgyrl84

Basically, yes he stole it. I tried to recover the truck before he left the state, but he refused to give me the keys and left for Chicago.

teflon_jones

The car isn't stolen. You entered into an agreement with him to make payments and now he's not. This is a civil matter. Do you have anything in writing documenting this agreement?

Do you have an extra set of keys? Do you know where the vehicle is located?

lilgyrl84

Yes, I have an extra set of keys. I only know that the car is located somewhere in Chicago, no further details. I have no way to call him or reach him other than by his family- who all supposedly have no way to get a hold of him either. What do I do?

Who's Liable?

Is his name on the title? If not, you will need to send him a letter stating your intentions to reposses the vehicle unless he starts paying for the car...

You will need to do some investigative research to figure out where he lives, works, etc. You can do an internet search for him or hire a P.I. to do this for you...

If his name IS on the title, there is nothing you can do at this time but go after him for his portion of the vehicle in small claims court...

Either way, you will need to find him...

teflon_jones

Where did he live prior to moving to Chicago? If any of his family members live at that address still, file a case in small claims court and list that as his address, or use a local address for a family member since the paperwork will most likely end up in his hands that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">