• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exception in Getting a License Under 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CollDude

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi. I'm 17 1/2 years old and I'll be taking my written driving test this week. According to law, I won't be able to obtain a license until I turn 18 unless I take a Driver's Education class. However, taking the class will take a while and will have me reach 18 years of age, so it's pointless, time-wise, that is. I was wondering if I can get a license w/o Driver's Ed even before I turn 18 due to extenuating circumstances. This spring of 2004, I will be taking 28 semester units (more than double the regular load of 12 units) and be working for about 20 hours a week. No one is available to drive me, and taking the bus will consume more of my time. Thus, I need to drive alone. Is there a way for me to get the actual driving test (constituting to a license) w/o Driver's Ed under 18. Or it doesn't have to be a license...as long as I can be permitted to drive alone just going to and from school and work. Thanks.

JETX

I agree. And the reason it is no, is that YOU have created the 'extenuating' circumstances that you are now trying to use to justify your 'special circumstance'.

JETX

Which statements "pegs the BS meter"??
The one about the 14 year old having a license, or that he had a friend??
:D

JETX

I have the new, improved "Crap-O-Meter"!! It was a little more money, but well worth it. I paid the extra bucks and got the 'stealth' model with the 'online lie detector' option!!
Had to turn the alarm to silent mode though..... it was going off all the time on posts made by some members....
Like:
Pam Vandi
CA Landlady
HappyRoach
and others......:D

before legislative action in the past few years changed the age requirements for obtaining a CDL, there were other means by which to obtaina CDL before reaching the age of 16.

of them:

-reciprocal issuance of a CDL upon presentment of a DL from a state whose age requirement was 14 (there are several)
-petition by an emancipated minor
-hardship waiver on behalf of a minor under 16 who would otherwise be unable to be transported to school due to lack of service by a bussing system (rural area), medical hardship in the family, etc.

I'm not the type that insists you believe every word typed as if it were gospel, but if an emancipated youth can buy property and enter into contracts with capacity, why not be able to obtain a CDL? the young lady in question was an emancipated youth, with a fairly prestigious local physician as a father. not sure how the process evolved... but I remember she was the coolest Freshman in my HS.

JETX

Yeah, right!!

And at one time, a person of any age didn't even need to have a drivers license..... so what does your issue have to do with the original question??

Last edited:
HomeGuru said:
Whatever.
I think this post succinctly sums up the collective knowledge you have shared with your 32,000 posts on this board. Thank you for playing.

Relevance? The DMV does waivers for virtually anything. You just need to know what questions to ask. The OP doesn't have the wrong idea... she's just asking the wrong questions.

JETX

"The DMV does waivers for virtually anything."
*** Not true. In fact, the only thing established by your post (and claim) is that SOMETIME in the past, you BELIEVE that you "had a friend in HS who had her CA license at 14."

That does NOTHING to answer the question asked in this thread which is:
"I was wondering if I can get a license w/o Driver's Ed even before I turn 18 due to extenuating circumstances."

Your post is presumably (ancient??) history and THIS is the CURRENT law in California:
Beginning July 1, 1998, all teens under age 18 are subject to a new system to obtain a driver permit and license in California. It's called graduated driver licensing, and it dramatically changes the way teenagers begin to drive.

Beginning July 1998, anyone under age 18 applying for an instruction permit must progress through a three-stage system to obtain a driver license.

Stage 1: Instruction (or Learner's) Permit
To obtain a permit, you must:
* Be at least 15 years old, but under age 18.
* Complete a DMV application form, signed by parents or guardians.
* Have completed a driver education course, or be enrolled in driver education and training (not required if 17 1/2 or older).
* Pass the DMV traffic law, road sign and vision tests.
* Pay the $15 application fee.

Once a permit is obtained, you must:
* Hold the instruction permit for at least six months.
* Complete 50 hours of supervised driving, including 10 hours at night. A parent or guardian must certify in writing that these hours have been completed.
* Drive with a parent, guardian, spouse, or adult 25 or older, or with a licensed professional instructor. These drivers must have a valid California driver license.
* Complete both classroom driver education and formal behind-the-wheel training.
* Maintain a clean driving record.
* Not drink and drive. Even a .01 percent concentration of alcohol in your blood - less than one drink - will result in a one-year license suspension for drivers under age 21.

Stage 2: Provisional License
To obtain a provisional driver license, you must:
* Complete Stage 1.
* Be at least 16 years old, but less than 18.
* Pass a behind-the-wheel driving test.

Once your provisional license is issued, the following conditions apply:
* For the first 6 months (or until you turn 18), no passengers under age 20 allowed unless a licensed driver age 25 or older is present. Exceptions made for family need.
* For the first 12 months (or until you turn 18), no driving permitted between midnight and 5 a.m., unless accompanied by licensed driver age 25 or older. Exceptions permitted for school, employment, family and medical need (licensees must carry a statement from the appropriate school official, employer, doctor or parent/guardian).
* Violation of passenger or nighttime driving restrictions results in either court-ordered community service or a fine. (A teen driver must be stopped for another violation -- such as speeding or failing to wear a safety belt - before a ticket is written for violating the conditions above.)
* Maintain a clean driving record. One citation or at-fault crash within 12 months results in a DMV warning. Two or more result in license restrictions and suspensions.

Stage 3: Full License
A provisional license becomes a full license when you:
* Become 18 years old.
* Have no outstanding DMV or court-ordered restrictions, suspensions or probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">